ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old November 16th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #1
SmAsHeD IxNaY

SmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 78
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via MSN to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via Yahoo to SmAsHeD IxNaY
Smackdown vs Raw 2006

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while. The story mode is pretty nice and the gfx are nice for a PS2 game. Online play is more fun than I thought it'd be. Definately well worth the $54 bucks I paid for it.

*Goes back online with it*
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
It seems that all the reviews of wrestling games this gen have been about them focusing on one area and completely ignoring another. Does this one fix that, or are you just predisposed to like wrestling games?

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #3
SmAsHeD IxNaY

SmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via MSN to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via Yahoo to SmAsHeD IxNaY
Actually, the only wrestling game I bought for the current genre was Legends of Wrestling Showdown, but it sucked. I didn't like any of the WWE games. I did play them, but they just didn't hold my interest at all. This one so far is getting great reviews. Ign gave it a 9.2 and Gamespot gave it a 8.9 I believe.
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #4
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
I've heard nothing but good things about the game. And its mostly from people who were highly disappointed in last years version.

The two things that have me sold are....

I'm told they have slowed down the gameplay so that feels more like a real wrestling match

That the CAW has been improved. Its possible to make character who dont look like the have downs this year.
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #5
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
The only wrestling titles I bought on the PS2 are Ultimate wrestling and Rumble Rose

The were fun for me as I haven't watched the WWE/F in years.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #6
SmAsHeD IxNaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
I've heard nothing but good things about the game. And its mostly from people who were highly disappointed in last years version.

The two things that have me sold are....

I'm told they have slowed down the gameplay so that feels more like a real wrestling match

That the CAW has been improved. Its possible to make character who dont look like the have downs this year.

They did slow down the gameplay. That's what I hated about WWE games on the current genres. It controls much better now.

I haven't tried to make a character yet, but I've seen some crazy ass ones online. So yea, you can have created characters online.

Also, there are so many match modes now. There isn't much lag. I'll probably lag once every five games, but it's just for a second max. You can also defend belts online.

I have a shitty record online because all but two of my matches have been online. I think I'm 7-12-1 (accidently beat the shit out of the ref when playing a friend online and got dq'ed lol).

If any of you get it, add me to your buddylist and friend if you want. I'm omgnoodles and my friend who post here goes by the same name, stoody.

Last edited by SmAsHeD IxNaY : November 18th, 2005 at 03:33 PM.
SmAsHeD IxNaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #7
KidRockDog

KidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to KidRockDog
Does this game instill the "Hardcore" matches...? Tables, chairs, ladders, etc?
KidRockDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #8
SmAsHeD IxNaY

Table, steel cage, TLC, Buried Alive, Fulfill Your Fantasy, Battle Royal, Hell in a Cell, special referee, and many more. Options to play them are single exhibition, tag team, torando tag, triple threat, and some others I can't think of. I'll check later when I get home.
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #9
ballahollic

ballahollic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 0
this is good for a wrestling fan but not the general fan
ballahollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #10
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt
The only wrestling titles I bought on the PS2 are Ultimate wrestling and Rumble Rose
Is that the wacky Japanese wrestling game? How did you like it? Rumble Roses got me interested in the idea of trying some other kinds of wrestling, but I loathe the WWE with all the blackness in my soul. If I ever played one of their games, I'd wait for it to hit $5.99, and then steal it from the kid who'd pay that for it.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Curious: How does tag team work online? I'm trying to imagine tag teams with created wrestlers...could be fun.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #12
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
Is that the wacky Japanese wrestling game? How did you like it? Rumble Roses got me interested in the idea of trying some other kinds of wrestling, but I loathe the WWE with all the blackness in my soul. If I ever played one of their games, I'd wait for it to hit $5.99, and then steal it from the kid who'd pay that for it.
It's okay. Very wacky. It takes a while to understand the control and the game gets old very fast. I unlocked everything and I doubt I'll every touch it again.

Not in the same league as Rumble Rose.

Piledriver Stallion-Style!
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #13
SmAsHeD IxNaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
Curious: How does tag team work online? I'm trying to imagine tag teams with created wrestlers...could be fun.
Tag team you can either play a normal tag or tornado tag. You can play tornado in steel cage matches, ladder matches, TLC, and few others I think. In Steel cage both, you and your partner, must climb out to win. In regular tornado matches both you are in ring at the same time and you need to pin both of their opponents to win. In Ladder matches just one of you need to climb the ladder and grab the belts to win. In table matches, I'm not sure if both you're opponents need to go through tables. I'll check on that later tonight maybe.

It's worth the money if you can get it and want a wrestling game. I'd definately recommend it.
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:35 AM   #14
Kev

Kev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond reputeKev has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 36
I bought it yesterday and it seems - from my limited exposure - to be a big step forward.

Two problems though: that fucking 2-button block system is shit. They've used it for ages and it never works. It's a nice theory - one to block punches/kicks, one to block grabs/grapples - but it doesn't work, as half the moves the opponent throws at you, you can't tell what the hell it's supposed to be.

And the AI is terrible. Play it on Normal or higher and you'll spend the entire game watching your wrestler lying on the floor getting beaten up. Play it on Easy and you'll often find your opponent stands and stares at you for long periods of time and makes no attempt to attack.

The Stamina level is a nice idea and thankfully is very well implemented (basically, between attacks/throws, you press the SELECT button to recharge your Stamina (it happens pretty quickly) but if your Stamina is too low, you stagger, slow down and are generally weaker. Taking a moment to "get your breath back" works really well.)

The storylines are pretty cool and entertaining in a WWE way. The voices add a lot, too. CAW is much more streamlined, but is better for it and the models are excellent. Even the CAW characters look like real people, which is a definite improvement.

However, they still have this bizarre thing where they allow you to create female wrestlers or even select the "Divas" but there's no Season mode for them and they can't compete in half the Exhibition matches, either. So what's the point? I wish they'd either implement women in the game fully or do away with 'em all together from a player POV and just spend the extra time/resources on a few more current stars, many of which are abscent.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:08 AM   #15
sven

sven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond reputesven has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 15
Send a message via ICQ to sven Send a message via AIM to sven
Got this from a diffrent forum. These slider setting are supposed to be pretty good....

Quote:
COM'S USAGE-
*standing strike reversal*10 (cant slap cpu around)
*standing grapple rev* 5 (Not alot of rev from the cpu)
*ground strike rev* 10 ( cant beat them down to death)
*ground grapple rev* 5 ( not alot rev from the cpu)
* finisher reversal* 20 (IRL finishers aways get rev)
* weapons reversal 20 (Attack at the rite time ^^^)
* stealing finisher* 5 ( I just hate to see that)
* submission A* 5 or ( up to you)
* submission B * 5 or ( up to you)

- DAMAGE BALANCE-
* Finisher* 20 (still get kick outs)
* weapons* 20 ( trust me ^^)
* backstage area* 15 ( more damage ^)

- GAME BALANCE-
*standing strike reversal* 0 (This is for the user)
*standing grapple rev* 0 (^^^^)
*ground strike rev* 0 (^^^)
*ground grapple rev* 0 (^^^)
*weapon reversal * 20 ( easier to counter for user)
* finisher reversal* 20 (^^^)
*mom rate clean/dirty* 10
*mom rate attacks* 10
*mom rate taunts* 20 ( dont abuse use as stategy)
*stamina rate* 15 ( you and the cpu will loose stamina, will have better drawn out matches, this seperates the game from arcade sim to straight up sim)
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #16
SmAsHeD IxNaY

I'm starting to dislike the create a wrestling (CAW) online. All these damn nubs are making their CAW's a 99. Even had a plug puller so he wouldn't get a loss. Oh well, it's still damn fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: