ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Sony
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sony They've led sales in the last console generation and are working on the next with the PS3. Will that and the PSP keep them moving at the top of the pack? Discuss it here.

Old November 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
PS3 Won't Play Used Games?

Quote:
PlayStation 3 won’t play used games?
Posted Nov 8, 2005, 4:45 PM ET by James Ransom-Wiley
Related entries: Culture, PlayStation 3

The latest rumor, generated from several patent sites, claims that Sony has secured a patent for a disk technology that prevents the use of used, as well as pirated, software. From the registered patent description:

”A device and method for protection of legitimate software against used software and counterfeit software in recording media… A specific title code is read, and if this title code has been registered, the main unit shifts to a normal operation. If the code has not been registered, verification software is initiated… If matching does not occur, the disk is processed as illegitimate software… Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end-user becomes practically impossible.”
Does Sony plan to employ this technology in the PlayStation 3? Not likely. If so, PS3 owners would not be able to rent (used) games or borrow their friends’ games—or even purchase used games! Sure, the technology could be used for Blu-Ray movies, but for games? It just won’t go down like that… right?

JoyStiq
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Steel

Steel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these partsSteel is infamous around these parts

Live!: steelx360

Games Owned: 81
that sounds gay.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Arod1983

Arod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant futureArod1983 has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 22
How is that even possible? So you wouldnt be able to take your game to a friends house on a different PS3 cuz to his sytem it would be 'used'?
Arod1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Wouldn't this also require connecting to the internet each time a disc was inserted?
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #5
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
sounds even worse for blue dvd players, apperently that will be the industry standard.

i go buy a blue-ray player, and 100 movies.

the blue-ray player breaks....so my 100 movies are now worthless?

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
lmhstalker

lmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these parts

Games Owned: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer
Wouldn't this also require connecting to the internet each time a disc was inserted?
Just for the "activation". After that, information should be stored on a memory card or some internal memory.
lmhstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #7
lmhstalker

lmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these partslmhstalker is infamous around these parts

Games Owned: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer
Just for the initial "activation". After that, information should be stored on a memory card or some internal memory.
lmhstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #8
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Wow Really?

Wow Really?

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #9
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
This is a flat-out dealbreaker for me. I will simply not buy a PS3 if they institute this idiotic bullshit. Period.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #10
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
I like how they named the article "PlayStation 3 won’t play used games?" even though there is really no mention of this technology having anything at all to do with the PS3 and in fact they say themselves that its not very likely.

I also found it odd that they didnt mention that Sony filed for this patent over 5 years ago.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...gi+AND+AN/Sony

Also if you read the patent, it seems that this is nothing more than a measure to gaurd against making copies of games and really has nothing to do with what the article talks about. But I may have misinterpreted that.

Last edited by speKtor : November 9th, 2005 at 02:33 AM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #11
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, according to what they had to say about it on Attack of the Show today, it will mean no rentals. I hadn't connected the dots to no used games, because I don't rent. At that point in the day, I was more interested in the happy edge of the sword which is that the PS3 is supposed to be region-free, which means I can finally get wacky Japanese niche games.

Old November 10th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #12
scottt

scottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to allscottt is a name known to all

Games Owned: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic
Well, according to what they had to say about it on Attack of the Show today, it will mean no rentals. I hadn't connected the dots to no used games, because I don't rent. At that point in the day, I was more interested in the happy edge of the sword which is that the PS3 is supposed to be region-free, which means I can finally get wacky Japanese niche games.
How would blu-ray take off without rentals?

The only protection so far on PS3/blu-ray is that you can't copy them or stream them with a PC. They can't just slam a no rental on it without the consent of the movie studios. Not the way they've been cutting these deals.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #13
mountpanic

I'm just sayin' that's what they reported on AOTS. I'm sure there are ways to do it with games and not movies. I'm not making any decisions, but I'm watching with a wary eye.

You're suspect, Sony! Notice has been served!

Old November 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #14
Gambit

Gambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enough

I will not purchase another Sony product if they implement this policy.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #15
nafrac69

nafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura aboutnafrac69 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I will not purchase another Sony product if they implement this policy.
PC software developers been doing this along time with product keys.
nafrac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #16
ballahollic

ballahollic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

they will they decided not to put the drm in it
ballahollic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: