ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 5th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Give your Android phone that ICS look.

Instead of re-uploading images, I'm just going to post a link. I'll keep the other thread updated if I ever get around to doing the dialer and such.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=67419
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
CarlosRE3

CarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: GTKyle5
PSN: GTKyle5
Steam: GTKyle5

Games Owned: 198
Games Wanted: 1
Since you seem to be more knowledgeable I just rooted my phone following these steps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1218386

But when I put superuser on it I cant tell if anything has changed, basically all I want is the free hotspot or any other cool things to put on the phone.

Also explain why most people use CM6 or 7 on their phone.

I Hate Capcom.
CarlosRE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRE3 View Post
Since you seem to be more knowledgeable I just rooted my phone following these steps

But when I put superuser on it I cant tell if anything has changed, basically all I want is the free hotspot or any other cool things to put on the phone.

Pretty much the method I used. Except I do not like Clockwork. So I booted to the bootloader and flashed pc316 or whatever, AmRa is better on the Evo.

You need to load up a root app, and see if it asks for permission from superuser. If it does not ask you either have not flashed the superuser or did something wrong.

I don't use CM7, I use Deck's. It is based on the same source but Deck's is lighter. It does not include some of the CM "extras". I cannot answer your question as to "why" unless you expand on it. I would never run the stock Sense shit again.

Ask away, I am always trying stuff with my Evo.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and I would not Hotspot much these days. Be careful. Keep your data use low if you want to get away with it.

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #5
CarlosRE3

CarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of light

Superuser doesnt ask for permission for any "rooted" apps, must of done something wrong, try again later.

I Hate Capcom.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:

Sorry for the delay. While some of your questions have been answers, I'll still take a shot at it.

Superuser - All this essentially does is gives you admin rights for apps that request it. Apps that need it are few and far in between. Try the free version of SetCPU. If it requests root access, then you're good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

Free hotspot - All you need in order for this to work is to essentially slip a switch. Data usage by your phone is reported as either phone or tethered (in whatever lingo your carrier uses). Unlocked phones report data all the same regardless if you are tethering (hence why I can tether for free on my unrooted SGS2). All you have to do is find this switch and flip it so that the carrier can't see that you're tethering, and not all phones require root for this. All HTC Verizon phones can do this without root by dialing ##778 and changing 2 settings. I haven't found something similar for Sprint. If there isn't a compatible "hack" then you'll have to find a wireless tethering app that works and isn't banned.

Cyanogen - CM6/7/9 (8 was never released) is an attempt to put a stock-like Android experience on many phones. Your phone comes loaded with HTC Sense. There seems to be a love/hate attitude towards Sense, so if you hate it, switch to CM. Also, CM will generally support a more recent version of Android than the official release. However, the latest release on your phone is 2.3.4, and the latest official is 2.3.7 (not a big deal). Your phone may or may not get CM9 (Android 4.x) as the CM team is struggling to get all of the drivers they need to pull off a stable release. However, there are some community members putting together semi-stable ports for those who want it anyway.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Z_E_R_O

If you are rooted, the native hotspot just works, some people flash a "fix", some don't...but it uses your data. Use more than usual then they may look into it. No use for Wireless Tether or barnacles, it's just not necessary. It will work, you just have to be careful how much you use it.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
If you are rooted, the native hotspot just works, some people flash a "fix", some don't...but it uses your data. Use more than usual then they may look into it. No use for Wireless Tether or barnacles, it's just not necessary. It will work, you just have to be careful how much you use it.
Depends on the phone. The native hotspot on Android 2.2+ has been replaced by some OEMs/Carriers by an app. This app funnels the data in a different way. For example, when using an HTC-branded device on Verizon, data is funneled through two gateways; vzw3g and dun.vzw3g. Anything funneled through the dun gateway is reported as tethered, and rooting doesn't change this. You have to manually enter the EPST settings and change the tethered data gateway, or you can simply use another tethering app.

Also, going too high on data doesn't confirm to your carrier that you're tethering. Each carrier handles it differently. I used a peak of 7GB in one month on Verizon, but a friend of mine goes over 20GB every month, and Verizon hasn't said shit to him. He's still on the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan without tethering.

So, rooting alone doesn't simply open tethering. Some ways of free tethering don't even need root, while others do, but this is independent of root access.
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Depends on the phone. The native hotspot on Android 2.2+ has been replaced by some OEMs/Carriers by an app. This app funnels the data in a different way. For example, when using an HTC-branded device on Verizon, data is funneled through two gateways; vzw3g and dun.vzw3g. Anything funneled through the dun gateway is reported as tethered, and rooting doesn't change this. You have to manually enter the EPST settings and change the tethered data gateway, or you can simply use another tethering app.

Also, going too high on data doesn't confirm to your carrier that you're tethering. Each carrier handles it differently. I used a peak of 7GB in one month on Verizon, but a friend of mine goes over 20GB every month, and Verizon hasn't said shit to him. He's still on the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan without tethering.

So, rooting alone doesn't simply open tethering. Some ways of free tethering don't even need root, while others do, but this is independent of root access.
He has an EVO. Pretty sure if he has to apply the "fix", which is easy, it will work. If he's new to Sprint, he should go for it. If not, I would make sure to stay near the data he usually uses. They have been "cracking down". Many ROMS have the fix built in. I use a ton of data. So if I started tethering regularly now they would notice. Whether they would do anything is a different story, but they don't just allow it anymore. Some get warned or worse, some do not. Really think an EVO needs root to tether.

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Exodus

Quote:
Really think an EVO needs root to tether.
Probably, but worth his time to investigate it. It's a nice to perk to NOT have to root for a feature that you can get without root access.

Quote:
He has an EVO. Pretty sure if he has to apply the "fix", which is easy, it will work. If he's new to Sprint, he should go for it. If not, I would make sure to stay near the data he usually uses. They have been "cracking down". Many ROMS have the fix built in. I use a ton of data. So if I started tethering regularly now they would notice. Whether they would do anything is a different story, but they don't just allow it anymore. Some get warned or worse, some do not.
One thing that people fail to understand is that, so long as you've "flipped the switch," a carrier cannot tell if you've tethered without physically examining your phone. If they see higher than normal data usage, they can send you an alert along the lines of, "you've been tethering, stop." They're hoping that you're dumb enough to confirm it for them.

Android is nice in that it can do virtually anything that a PC can do. So, if you're tethering, you can still claim that you viewed the website on your phone. Of course, there are a few websites (Windows Update?) that wouldn't make sense, but carriers haven't been that anal.

Because carriers cannot detect if you are tethering, they have blocked certain tethering apps from the Market with Google's help. Also, each carrier has a fair use policy, so if you use too much data, even on unlimited, they can still boot you, with or without tethering. Verizon and AT&T went away from this when they started throttling users at the end of this past year. Sprint claims they they don't do it to Smartphone users. T-Mobile has been throttling. So, the anti-tethering stance has died down quite a bit.

So to summarize, the only way to get caught tethering is for you to walk up to your carrier and say, "I've been tethering."
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Z_E_R_O

No, he HAS to root to tether on an EVO. All the apps that require root, barnacles &wi-fi tether, will be available to him. They do not block that shit. He cannot just flip a switch and run, Sprint does have a close eye on spikes in data use. They do not ask if you are tethering, they just send you a letter saying fuck off. They also throttle, trust me. There is lots of tiny little print in their shit. If you use your phone twice a day, sure it is truly unlimited. But they are not stupid, and it is best to just be honest and if you are not do not be dishonest by giving the "I viewed it on my PC" line. They have spotty coverage and poor coverage in too many areas, they have iPhones now and their idea of "Unlimited" is "Unlimited to the average customer who uses the phone for calls and a few texts and a little bit of data". The reason they charge for wireless tethering is pretty common sense. I mean, fuck, most people have routers in their homes, at work, at the cafe they lunch at. The service is for people who don't have internet in certain situations. Not for those of us tech savvy enough to avoid paying for something. But paying that high fee for the occasional must use moment is absurd, which makes having a rooted evo with the Sprint app "*fixed" like insurance. He really should not use it much, and if he does, his speeds and service may suffer if it becomes an abused habit.

Who knows, maybe he can work it out, if he needs it, to pay for the wireless tether and a plan that covers what data he uses. Could come out cheaper.

Data is data, too. That's like a fat girl saying she didn't eat 12 donuts because she had them implanted in her stomach. Really doesn't matter how it got there.

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Exodus

Quote:
No, he HAS to root to tether on an EVO.
You didn't sound so confident in your last post so don't get so upset if I don't just take your word for it this time. I have first-hand knowledge with HTC CDMA phones and MOST (not all) of them can tether for free without rooting. It was worth a shot to look into it, so don't discard something I say just because it's new to you.

Quote:
All the apps that require root, barnacles &wi-fi tether, will be available to him.
True. However, not all tethering/hotspot apps require root access. So, if he's looking to tether and doesn't care about those other root-requiring apps, he MAY not need to root. Just food for thought.

Quote:
They do not block that shit.
Some carriers do and some do not. THIS APP has been blocked from usage on most carrier-locked handsets. It was the most popular tethering app (that required root access) before the block. I don't know if Sprint is in on it, but at one time, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T all blocked usage of it even after Google removed it from the market. Sprint has been more liberal in this regard lately.

Quote:
He cannot just flip a switch and run, Sprint does have a close eye on spikes in data use.
This is something that I feel either I am not communicating properly or you are failing to understand. Spikes in data usage does not equate to tethering. Sprint can monitor usage all they want, but a spike alone doesn't mean you tethered. That friend of mine who uses 20+ GB a month? Yea, he tethers, but most of his data is from Netflix. When we're in a static patrol at work, he plugs it into the cigarette lighter and watches Netflix. Eight hours of that shit, even on mobile, is still a couple of gigs.

Sometimes carriers get suspicious and send out notices for suspected tetherers (AT&T was famous for this last summer). If you were dumb enough to say "Yes, I'm tethering," then of course you'd get hammered. There were documented cases of people who fought and won.

Quote:
They do not ask if you are tethering, they just send you a letter saying fuck off.
When I pull someone over, I don't say, "Were you speeding?" I ask, "Do you have a reasonable justification for going over the posted speed limit?" When they say, "Sorry officer, it's because I was in a hurry," they just admitted to it. Same with AT&T's notices. They sent out notices informed customers that they were suspected of tethering. This was the customer's opportunity to confirm the suspicion or fight it. Most people are dumb enough to confirm it.

Quote:
They also throttle, trust me.
Then take them to court, because Sprint right now is claiming in interviews, advertising, and in their own fine print that they DO NOT throttle data on smartphones unless roaming. Want to convince me? Take them to court or show me their actual fine print, otherwise, don't get upset if I don't take you at your word.
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Z_E_R_O

TL;DR, but you are predictable.

j/k.

Lighten up, fuck! I am a current EVO user and have multiple phones with them. I was confirming that those apps have not been blocked...ever. Never saw them blocked on my wife's phones or when I switched to "smartphone" early last year.

I was sure of myself in the EVO needing root, but you gave me doubts. You post some quite knowledgeable info on this subject. Then I read some decks threads at XDA and I see he was at one point working on a nonroot app for tether but said screw it. So there is and will not be a nonroot option for it.

Now I don't know if I am communicating it right or you are not understanding, Sprint does keep tabs on data use. Sorry, that was not necessary. Just like piracy, most are not affected by it, BUT it is a possibility, and Sprint does use "throttling" of speeds as a means to provide a better experience for all customers. One of their CEOs/CFOs/whoever they are was interviewed and he says it like twice. It is a small percentage, but it does happen and could happen. Yes, they advertise "Unlimited". They have their bases covered. We also this year lost many of the perks that we were entitled to. I lost my upgrade, which is six months from now instead of this month. As far as I am concerned, with the quality of service accounted for, the best thing about going all the way is adding data roaming and unlimited roaming. Because Sprint would suck endlessly beyond compare because their signal is so advanced I hit roaming if I enter a building. AND the roaming is better than the Sprint coverage! @1x my speeds are higher on average than when I am in Sprint 3g. The 4g has been really kicking ass. Don't know what's up there but no bitching. Hit over 4M the first time the other day. That shit is flying these days. This entire summer and fall it was nonexistent.

I should point out I have became a high data user.

That said, using the device and service for means other than you enter into could have an effect on other users, and by entering into that agreement with the provider, then tethering otherwise, and then them even suggesting it to you and you denying it because you can, is dishonesty. Do not be shocked if dishonest acts attract consequences at some point. If a technology exists for us to circumvent, then a tech exists to know.

Was there anything in there I should defend, be offended by, or react to, or give you the finger for, btw, because I really didn't read all that shit.

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Exodus

Quote:
I am a current EVO user and have multiple phones with them. I was confirming that those apps have not been blocked...ever.
The one I linked to is currently blocked by multiple US carriers and requires a DNS filter to work anymore. You can deny it all you want, but carriers have begun blocking these apps. As one becomes popular, it gets blocked, and several others rise up to take their place. Filtering has become the way to do it.

Quote:
I was sure of myself in the EVO needing root, but you gave me doubts. You post some quite knowledgeable info on this subject. Then I read some decks threads at XDA and I see he was at one point working on a nonroot app for tether but said screw it. So there is and will not be a nonroot option for it.
I never said that it did or didn't need root for tethering. What I did say was to look into it because most HTC CDMA phones have options to tether for free without root. You're dealing too much with absolutes. My favorite trick with the Incredible (the sister phone to the Evo) was ##778 and dun removal. Free wifi tethering without root or any external apps. If the Evo can't do it, then so be it. I simply wanted to make you aware to look for a possible option. I went looking on my phone, found it, and couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Now I don't know if I am communicating it right or you are not understanding, Sprint does keep tabs on data use.
No, you simply don't understand how this works. That's not an insult either, so if you decide to get butt-hurt over it I couldn't care less. Bottom line is that Sprint can monitor the amount of data that you use, but they cannot determine the type without either using deep-packet inspection (illegal), or an on-device switch that says "I am/am not tethering." There are ways to disable these switches without root on MANY but NOT ALL devices (##778 on HTC devices on Verizon, for example). So, if you bypass that "switch," all the carrier has left is deep packet inspection. It's illegal, so they don't admit to it. If you get a notice from them you simply call their bluff as so many AT&T users did.

Quote:
and Sprint does use "throttling" of speeds as a means to provide a better experience for all customers. One of their CEOs/CFOs/whoever they are was interviewed and he says it like twice.
You REALLY should read these articles before you refer to them. Yes, I saw the interview, and I also saw the amended articles after that. He (Dan Hesse) admitted that Sprint throttles less than 1% of mobile data users. It was later clarified that users are only throttled when they are prepaid (Virgin, Boost) under certain conditions. No Sprint postpaid (contract) unlimited user is currently throttled. Here's one of the amended articles.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...tomers-or-not/
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
The one I linked to is currently blocked by multiple US carriers and requires a DNS filter to work anymore. You can deny it all you want, but carriers have begun blocking these apps. As one becomes popular, it gets blocked, and several others rise up to take their place. Filtering has become the way to do it.

I never said that it did or didn't need root for tethering. What I did say was to look into it because most HTC CDMA phones have options to tether for free without root. You're dealing too much with absolutes. My favorite trick with the Incredible (the sister phone to the Evo) was ##778 and dun removal. Free wifi tethering without root or any external apps. If the Evo can't do it, then so be it. I simply wanted to make you aware to look for a possible option. I went looking on my phone, found it, and couldn't be happier.

No, you simply don't understand how this works. That's not an insult either, so if you decide to get butt-hurt over it I couldn't care less. Bottom line is that Sprint can monitor the amount of data that you use, but they cannot determine the type without either using deep-packet inspection (illegal), or an on-device switch that says "I am/am not tethering." There are ways to disable these switches without root on MANY but NOT ALL devices (##778 on HTC devices on Verizon, for example). So, if you bypass that "switch," all the carrier has left is deep packet inspection. It's illegal, so they don't admit to it. If you get a notice from them you simply call their bluff as so many AT&T users did.

You REALLY should read these articles before you refer to them. Yes, I saw the interview, and I also saw the amended articles after that. He (Dan Hesse) admitted that Sprint throttles less than 1% of mobile data users. It was later clarified that users are only throttled when they are prepaid (Virgin, Boost) under certain conditions. No Sprint postpaid (contract) unlimited user is currently throttled. Here's one of the amended articles.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...tomers-or-not/
Dude, seriously, what the fuck is your problem? Lighten the fuck up!

Sprint does not block the infamous tethering apps, other providers...sure. But stay on topic. This is about an EVO on Sprint.
If they limit any traffic, and the same thing as prepaid customers, customers that roam can get hit, to even 1% of their traffic, they admit they are throttling. Again, as you are pointing out it is possible to tether other phones without root I am warning it is possible for them to take notice and/or action against something customers agree not to do.
Quote:
"Unlimited doesn't mean you can hook it up to a server farm," White said.

Old January 13th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Exodus

Quote:
Dude, seriously, what the fuck is your problem? Lighten the fuck up!
I don't have a problem. You posted false information and I corrected it. Have a good night.
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #17
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
I don't have a problem. You posted false information and I corrected it. Have a good night.
I think he just needed to reflash the proper superuser.

Old January 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #18
CarlosRE3

I can get to Revolutionary part, loaded superuser from it but ??? still dont do anything

TLDR above ^

I dont care if sprint catched me tethering, cancel my shit, please

I Hate Capcom.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
I can get to Revolutionary part, loaded superuser from it but ??? still dont do anything

TLDR above ^

I dont care if sprint catched me tethering, cancel my shit, please
Can you boot into the bootloader? It will be white with colorful letters and say revolutionary at the top. No, wait, I know what happened. Make sure you have a recovery image on the sd card, LOL. The same thing happened to me the first time. . When you ran revolutionary did it ask for you to flash recovery image? If you said yes and it hung or you said no, you didn't get a recovery flashed and need to from the bootloader screen. Hold your volume down at start. The options are easy. Sounds like you may have switched NAND to S-Off. You are not rooted until you have a recovery and flash superuser.

Cool, as long as you know the potential for possible risk involved with tethering. Since I was giving out wrong information:
Quote:
White did say customers who violate the terms and conditions could be limited, but that would involve turning the phone into a modem by tethering it to another device.

"Unlimited doesn't mean you can hook it up to a server farm," White said.
Since you have already decided it won't matter if they boot you, they will not notice, LOL.

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Exodus

Quote:

Since I was giving out wrong information:
I'm going to once again try to clarify for you.

There are two parts here to the whole "Sprint can boot you for tethering." The first is the part that you just rehashed, it's in their terms of service. I never disagreed on that, so since we are in agreement there, we can drop it.

The next part is HOW Sprint, or any carrier, determines that you are tethering. They can't (unless they use illegal deep packet inspection). So, unless the user says, "Hey, Sprint, I'm tethering without paying for it," the user is good. I've already covered the notices a hundred times, so if you still don't get it, feel free to re-read any of my previous posts.

Oh, and lighten up
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
I'm going to once again try to clarify for you.

There are two parts here to the whole "Sprint can boot you for tethering." The first is the part that you just rehashed, it's in their terms of service. I never disagreed on that, so since we are in agreement there, we can drop it.

The next part is HOW Sprint, or any carrier, determines that you are tethering. They can't (unless they use illegal deep packet inspection). So, unless the user says, "Hey, Sprint, I'm tethering without paying for it," the user is good. I've already covered the notices a hundred times, so if you still don't get it, feel free to re-read any of my previous posts.

Oh, and lighten up
Suck my balls, homie.

No seriously, I am just trying to give warning before he gets what he asks for. Just trying to help him out as I have had the same shit with the same phone on the same provider. I have a common opinion as a customer as others. That is all. I have gotten deep into my EVO of recent and can share advice. Even if it is a futile warning and bluff, I take notice. Just like using Pirate Bay or grabbing content here and there online. Good habits are nice to follow.

Just jam out and clam out. Aiiighhht? It is all good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: