ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 5th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Give your Android phone that ICS look.

Instead of re-uploading images, I'm just going to post a link. I'll keep the other thread updated if I ever get around to doing the dialer and such.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=67419
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
CarlosRE3

CarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: GTKyle5
PSN: GTKyle5
Steam: GTKyle5

Games Owned: 198
Games Wanted: 1
Since you seem to be more knowledgeable I just rooted my phone following these steps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1218386

But when I put superuser on it I cant tell if anything has changed, basically all I want is the free hotspot or any other cool things to put on the phone.

Also explain why most people use CM6 or 7 on their phone.

I Hate Capcom.
CarlosRE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRE3 View Post
Since you seem to be more knowledgeable I just rooted my phone following these steps

But when I put superuser on it I cant tell if anything has changed, basically all I want is the free hotspot or any other cool things to put on the phone.

Pretty much the method I used. Except I do not like Clockwork. So I booted to the bootloader and flashed pc316 or whatever, AmRa is better on the Evo.

You need to load up a root app, and see if it asks for permission from superuser. If it does not ask you either have not flashed the superuser or did something wrong.

I don't use CM7, I use Deck's. It is based on the same source but Deck's is lighter. It does not include some of the CM "extras". I cannot answer your question as to "why" unless you expand on it. I would never run the stock Sense shit again.

Ask away, I am always trying stuff with my Evo.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and I would not Hotspot much these days. Be careful. Keep your data use low if you want to get away with it.

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #5
CarlosRE3

CarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of lightCarlosRE3 is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: GTKyle5
PSN: GTKyle5
Steam: GTKyle5

Games Owned: 198
Games Wanted: 1
Superuser doesnt ask for permission for any "rooted" apps, must of done something wrong, try again later.

I Hate Capcom.
CarlosRE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRE3 View Post

Sorry for the delay. While some of your questions have been answers, I'll still take a shot at it.

Superuser - All this essentially does is gives you admin rights for apps that request it. Apps that need it are few and far in between. Try the free version of SetCPU. If it requests root access, then you're good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

Free hotspot - All you need in order for this to work is to essentially slip a switch. Data usage by your phone is reported as either phone or tethered (in whatever lingo your carrier uses). Unlocked phones report data all the same regardless if you are tethering (hence why I can tether for free on my unrooted SGS2). All you have to do is find this switch and flip it so that the carrier can't see that you're tethering, and not all phones require root for this. All HTC Verizon phones can do this without root by dialing ##778 and changing 2 settings. I haven't found something similar for Sprint. If there isn't a compatible "hack" then you'll have to find a wireless tethering app that works and isn't banned.

Cyanogen - CM6/7/9 (8 was never released) is an attempt to put a stock-like Android experience on many phones. Your phone comes loaded with HTC Sense. There seems to be a love/hate attitude towards Sense, so if you hate it, switch to CM. Also, CM will generally support a more recent version of Android than the official release. However, the latest release on your phone is 2.3.4, and the latest official is 2.3.7 (not a big deal). Your phone may or may not get CM9 (Android 4.x) as the CM team is struggling to get all of the drivers they need to pull off a stable release. However, there are some community members putting together semi-stable ports for those who want it anyway.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Z_E_R_O

If you are rooted, the native hotspot just works, some people flash a "fix", some don't...but it uses your data. Use more than usual then they may look into it. No use for Wireless Tether or barnacles, it's just not necessary. It will work, you just have to be careful how much you use it.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
If you are rooted, the native hotspot just works, some people flash a "fix", some don't...but it uses your data. Use more than usual then they may look into it. No use for Wireless Tether or barnacles, it's just not necessary. It will work, you just have to be careful how much you use it.
Depends on the phone. The native hotspot on Android 2.2+ has been replaced by some OEMs/Carriers by an app. This app funnels the data in a different way. For example, when using an HTC-branded device on Verizon, data is funneled through two gateways; vzw3g and dun.vzw3g. Anything funneled through the dun gateway is reported as tethered, and rooting doesn't change this. You have to manually enter the EPST settings and change the tethered data gateway, or you can simply use another tethering app.

Also, going too high on data doesn't confirm to your carrier that you're tethering. Each carrier handles it differently. I used a peak of 7GB in one month on Verizon, but a friend of mine goes over 20GB every month, and Verizon hasn't said shit to him. He's still on the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan without tethering.

So, rooting alone doesn't simply open tethering. Some ways of free tethering don't even need root, while others do, but this is independent of root access.
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Depends on the phone. The native hotspot on Android 2.2+ has been replaced by some OEMs/Carriers by an app. This app funnels the data in a different way. For example, when using an HTC-branded device on Verizon, data is funneled through two gateways; vzw3g and dun.vzw3g. Anything funneled through the dun gateway is reported as tethered, and rooting doesn't change this. You have to manually enter the EPST settings and change the tethered data gateway, or you can simply use another tethering app.

Also, going too high on data doesn't confirm to your carrier that you're tethering. Each carrier handles it differently. I used a peak of 7GB in one month on Verizon, but a friend of mine goes over 20GB every month, and Verizon hasn't said shit to him. He's still on the grandfathered $30 unlimited plan without tethering.

So, rooting alone doesn't simply open tethering. Some ways of free tethering don't even need root, while others do, but this is independent of root access.
He has an EVO. Pretty sure if he has to apply the "fix", which is easy, it will work. If he's new to Sprint, he should go for it. If not, I would make sure to stay near the data he usually uses. They have been "cracking down". Many ROMS have the fix built in. I use a ton of data. So if I started tethering regularly now they would notice. Whether they would do anything is a different story, but they don't just allow it anymore. Some get warned or worse, some do not. Really think an EVO needs root to tether.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: