ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Retro Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Retro Games For the retro gamer in you, system unspecific.

Old February 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #51
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Arrow Know of any way i could get a hold of a translated version?

Start here: http://www.mother3.org/
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #52
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountpanic View Post
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Spinball
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!

Fantastic game. I loved the music, the graphics, (aside from the way the US dev team couldn't draw Sonic right), and the gameplay was just about perfect.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #53
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 267
Send a message via AIM to mountpanic Send a message via Yahoo to mountpanic
I never really noticed that Sonic was "wrong" in Spinball, but since I liked it more than any other Sonic game, it never mattered to me either.

There is no one you couldn't love once you've heard their story.
Mary Lou Kownacki (via Fred Rogers)

Enjoy the CC Free Games Archive
mountpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #54
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never really noticed that Sonic was "wrong" in Spinball, but since I liked it more than any other Sonic game, it never mattered to me either.
The character looks quite different from the Japanese Sonic.

Spinball is rough around the edges. There are some collision detection issues, the graphics while artistically nice, have some technical shortcomings. But to date it's the best pinball style video game I've played. It was tough as hell but it kept me playing for a long time.

The only pinball video game that came close to Spinball was Alien Crush on the TG16.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #55
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
I never really noticed that Sonic was "wrong" in Spinball

I couldn't help but notice. It was bad...it was really bad. Not enough to bother the average gamer, but it really bugged the shit out of me. The frame rate was pretty bad too, actually.

Quote:
The only pinball video game that came close to Spinball was Alien Crush on the TG16.
Alien Crush is a favorite of mine. Devil's Crush (TG16) and Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire (GBA) are both pretty good as well.

Last edited by Aeon Storm : February 6th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.
Aeon Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #56
mountpanic

mountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond reputemountpanic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
So? Do it. There are plenty of well done homebrew Sonic games out there. You don't even have to use Sonic, you know?

You can use that little metal guy from Springyard Zone in Sonic 1. Or, you can use a character from Chaotix or something. Hell, it really doesn't even have to be from the Sonic universe. Do you really think that anyone would mind if you used Bubsy?

Why not just make up your own character? It can be Pillbug Pinball... or something.

Do you know of any REALLY easy software for something like that? I have zero programming skills.

I've wanted to do a pirate themed pinball (with a cannon ball) for a long time.

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #57
DG

Quote:
Do you know of any REALLY easy software for something like that? I have zero programming skills.

Maybe Flash? I've seen some pretty complex games done in that.

Also you might want to check out Google's personalized homepage tools. My son was showing me a Pac Man plug in created with Google's tools that was a carbon copy of the arcade.
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #58
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
I couldn't help but notice. It was bad...it was really bad. Not enough to bother the average gamer, but it really bugged the shit out of me. The frame rate was pretty bad too, actually.
What drove me crazy is how Sonic jumps a fraction of a second after you press the button. It has a noticeably slower response time when compaired to other Sonic games of its time.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #59
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Quote:

Flash does seem to be the flavor of choice for animators. Have you seen this? Pretty impresive for an amature job.
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #60
DG

Quote:
Have you seen this? Pretty impresive for an amature job.
Damn! The controls are sluggish, but shit it's still very impressive. Judging by that you could pull off a new Sonic Spinball.
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #61
mountpanic

It's such a faithful homage that it reminds me precisely of why I don't like Sonic games.

I'm barely functional enough with Flash to make a rudimentary animation. Figuring out the interactivity and physics seems a pretty distant goal. I'm going to be working with a guy who's a grand Flash master, so I should be able to pick up some skills from him. I don't process information from instruction manuals well, but I am great at picking things up from observation.

Old February 14th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #62
Overkill
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Damn! The controls are sluggish, but shit it's still very impressive. Judging by that you could pull off a new Sonic Spinball.
Impressive animation only. The level-design is mo-tarded. Don't even get me started.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #63
Syndicate

Syndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud ofSyndicate has much to be proud of

Live!: Syn Zero
PSN: SynZero-00

Games Owned: 405
Games Wanted: 4
Quote:
Flash does seem to be the flavor of choice for animators. Have you seen this? Pretty impresive for an amature job.
...tried that flash Sonic out, it was interesting...very sluggish though.

"There's one party in Washington. It's the party of money."
David Cay. Johnston

"...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."
Phil 3:13

Current Game Rotation - Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6, Firewatch, Halo:MCC XB1 | Phantasy Star 360 | PS3 | The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda, Guacamelee: STCE Wii U
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: