ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich

It was released today for my unlocked SGS2. Downloading now. I'm not expecting much, since Touchwiz already had most of the features that ICS is supposed to bring. The two main things that interests me are actual ICS exclusive apps; the full Chrome browsers (beta, of course), and Apex Launcher.

Will report back later if anything interesting occurs.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
I have managed to resist the ICS ROMS out, even the ones with working hardware acceleration, just because of stuff that I use not having the drivers available, like the camera, as it doesn't look like the EVO is getting a release. Hardware acceleration is all that I am jealous of.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
I have managed to resist the ICS ROMS out, even the ones with working hardware acceleration, just because of stuff that I use not having the drivers available, like the camera, as it doesn't look like the EVO is getting a release. Hardware acceleration is all that I am jealous of.
Are you referring to the browser?
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Are you referring to the browser?
No, the hardware acceleration looks interesting. Is there something badass about the browser?
Was just over at XDA, looks like there are a few ICS ROMS for EVO that have working camera, but no 4g, unfortunately I actually get 4g. I would like to try ICS. I would grab a new phone from Sprint before my upgrade cred expires but I am seriously not able to choose. Waiting seems like a better option. But if they had a phone I could work with and keep 4g I would go for it, but no. Was almost thinking about a Photon. Rooting and unlock breaks 4g on that phone.

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
No, the hardware acceleration looks interesting. Is there something badass about the browser?
Ahh, ok. Android's UI has always been hardware accelerated, it's just that the number of layers (versus the one layer for iOS) caused it to need a high fill-rate to accelerate everything. This lead to parts of the UI being accelerated and parts not being accelerated, at the OEM's discretion. The reason your phone doesn't have it in the ICS "betas" is because Qualcomm hasn't released ICS compatible drivers that fully support the Adreno 200 (your GPU). Currently, some developers are trying to modify the drivers from the Adreno 205/220 to support the 200. Even then, the low fill-rate means that only one layer can be properly accelerated, and most developers use it for the notification shade.

The reason I asked is because a LOT of people attribute the silky smooth web browser of the iPhone as being that way due to hardware acceleration. This is actually not the case and I did write-up for another website awhile back on this topic. Without going into anal-retentive detail, Google chose to render the entire webpage whereas Apple chose to use tiling. Tiling has the drawback of causing a checkerboard affect when quickly scrolled, so Apple made it so that scrolling is effectively like a page-down button. You can only flick through one tile at a time unlike Android where you can scroll down the whole damn page in one scroll.

Samsung adopted tiling in their Gingerbread browser for the SGS2 (not sure if they put it on the original SGS). Below are some comparisons I did to highlight the differences. The Moto Razer and HTC Rezound were on GB at the time, using the old method. The iPhone 4s and SGS2 were using tiling. The Galaxy Nexus was using a newer, enhanced version of tiling that will be on the browsers for all ICS phones (and it seems I got it on my SGS2 last night).

Old June 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Z_E_R_O

I have became addicted to MIUI. This week was the new 4.0.4. No 4g but I can live without it. The rom is seriously smooth. nonHWA. There were some new things brought into the code. Not sure I understand but it is awesome!

Old June 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
krazy

krazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 77
Games Wanted: 61
Send a message via AIM to krazy Send a message via MSN to krazy Send a message via Yahoo to krazy
I'm still waiting for Sprints update. Sure taking its sweet time.
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Z_E_R_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy View Post
I'm still waiting for Sprints update. Sure taking its sweet time.
For which phone?

Old June 17th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
krazy

krazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 77
Games Wanted: 61
Send a message via AIM to krazy Send a message via MSN to krazy Send a message via Yahoo to krazy
Samsung Galaxy SII

Its on the list for ICS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: