ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #1
krazy

krazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 77
Games Wanted: 61
Send a message via AIM to krazy Send a message via MSN to krazy Send a message via Yahoo to krazy
Touch pro 2 vs Droid

I have been sold on the HTC TP2 since I had the first Touch Pro and loved it. Today come across the Motorola Droid reviews and now I am feel like I should consider giving the Droid a chance. I have never used the Android OS. Has any body had a chance to try both phones or atleast give me some feed back on Android 2.0 vs WM 6.5. Anything that could help tip my decision here.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy View Post
I have been sold on the HTC TP2 since I had the first Touch Pro and loved it. Today come across the Motorola Droid reviews and now I am feel like I should consider giving the Droid a chance. I have never used the Android OS. Has any body had a chance to try both phones or atleast give me some feed back on Android 2.0 vs WM 6.5. Anything that could help tip my decision here.
I haven't heard much about this "Droid," though I have seen the commercials. Now, I'm learning it's a Motorola product? No thank you.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
krazy

krazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond reputekrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to krazy Send a message via MSN to krazy Send a message via Yahoo to krazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer View Post
I haven't heard much about this "Droid," though I have seen the commercials. Now, I'm learning it's a Motorola product? No thank you.
YA same here when I hear Motorola but 3 out of 6 review claim it's the best phone on Verizon and second best smart phone period. Every review has said very positive things about it. Just a crappy camera.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
Quote:
YA same here when I hear Motorola but 3 out of 6 review claim it's the best phone on Verizon and second best smart phone period. Every review has said very positive things about it. Just a crappy camera.
These reviews are being written after, what, a week with the thing? Motorola phones are like cancer, they only get worse the longer you have them.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer View Post
These reviews are being written after, what, a week with the thing? Motorola phones are like cancer, they only get worse the longer you have them.
LMFAO fact of day.

Maybe they changed or maybe im a masochist and trying to find a reason to buy another Motorola.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Jintonic

Jintonic is on a distinguished roadJintonic is on a distinguished roadJintonic is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
Go PHX!!!! Please beat the Celtics tonight!
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #7
SmAsHeD IxNaY

SmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond reputeSmAsHeD IxNaY has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 78
Send a message via AIM to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via MSN to SmAsHeD IxNaY Send a message via Yahoo to SmAsHeD IxNaY
I have a TP now but want a TP2. I just don't want to re-do my 2 year contract nor want to pay Sprint $600 for the phone, lol. Might buy one on Ebay in a month or so.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

There is a HTC version of the Droid... the Droid ERIS
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibe6yoube9 View Post
It would probably be the ultimate phone (IMO) if HTC didn't make horrible cameras.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #10
krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
It would probably be the ultimate phone (IMO) if HTC didn't make horrible cameras.
Well from what I have seen from sample photo's HTC's 3.2mp camera Trumps Motorola's 5mp. HTC's version of the Droid doesnt have a physical keyboard so that kills it for me.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Daks

Daks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really niceDaks is just really nice

Live!: TheSoulPig

Games Owned: 111
The one thing the Droid has that the TP2 won't is the Android Marketplace. At least until MS rolls out the new version of Windows Mobile and the marketplace they've been promising for it. Yeah, you can download individual apps from various places, but finding them and separating the good from the bad is a pain in the ass.

That said, the TP2 is a damn nice phone.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Well from what I have seen from sample photo's HTC's 3.2mp camera Trumps Motorola's 5mp. HTC's version of the Droid doesnt have a physical keyboard so that kills it for me.
Nevermind! No physical keyboard also kills it for me.

As does Verizon. That shit is too expensive.
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Bigg Russ

Bigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond reputeBigg Russ has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Bigg Russ

Games Owned: 73
Send a message via AIM to Bigg Russ Send a message via Yahoo to Bigg Russ
Wow. I was just thinking about which phone to get, the Imagio or the Droid. I was totally sold on the Imagio 'til I saw that Droid had a physical keyboard. That might do it for me.

That HTC version seems < the Droid though. I'll give it a once over as well.
Bigg Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #14
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

The droid is an awesome phone. I played with one today and just the build of it alone sold me. It's really a sexy device.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #15
krazy

Just got to play with one and really sweet phone but the keyboard is too small and not centered. The net was blazing fast and the touch was very responsive. It really felt like and iPhone.

Does anyone know if Android can supports Word (doubtfull) or atleast a program that can read and edit word documents ?

Last edited by krazy : November 10th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #16
White Russ

White Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these partsWhite Russ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Just got to play with one and really sweet phone but the keyboard is too small and not centered. The net was blazing fast and the touch was very responsive. It really felt like and iPhone.

Does anyone know if Android can supports Word (doubtfull) or atleast a program that can read and edit word documents ?
my coworker said they can edit word and excel files the apps came with the droid

oh wait it can only view them but there may be an app that can edit them i dont know

Last edited by White Russ : November 10th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
White Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #17
JDGAFFLIN

JDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond reputeJDGAFFLIN has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 59
Send a message via Yahoo to JDGAFFLIN
Quote:
Wrong. It's not running Android 2.0 . It's running 1.6. Plus the processor isnt as powerful, and there is no physical keyboard.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Ibe6yoube9

Ibe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these partsIbe6yoube9 is infamous around these parts

Live!: threeleggedcow
PSN: ibe6yoube9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Wrong. It's not running Android 2.0 . It's running 1.6. Plus the processor isnt as powerful, and there is no physical keyboard.
Wrong? Umm... no. It's a Droid. An alternative to the Motorola Droid. That's all I said. I never said anything else.

Last edited by Ibe6yoube9 : November 10th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Ibe6yoube9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #19
The Krakken

The Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond reputeThe Krakken has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 46
Quote:
Wrong? Umm... no. It's a Droid. An alternative to the Motorola Droid. That's all I said. I never said anything else.
And that would be correct. Android 2.0 isn't all that different from Android 1.6 anyway. It still isn't NEARLY as elegant and user friendly as WebOS (even with the blatant ripoff of Palm Synergy), or even Iphone.

Having played with Android 2.0, and the Droid for about 4 days now, I can confidently say that outside of Android marketplace, and text forwarding (which is coming in the next WebOS update), I cannot think of a single thing on Android that causes me to even think about prying the Palm Pre from my fingers. Maybe when they are cold and dead. I'd rather have my wife's Iphone 3Gs.

That said, it is a very nice phone. A very nice phone and a boon to Verizon users looking to have a really nice smartphone option.

Last edited by The Krakken : November 10th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
The Krakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #20
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
I still prefer the candybar form factor with front facing keyboard. If I didn't have my Samsung Jack, I'd want a Nokia E71/72, or a Blackberry Bold/Tour/Curve 8900.

I like being able to view, create, and edit Office documents. I also like the free tethering, and the wide range of programs (not merely apps) available for my phone. Also, I still don't like devices that rely heavily on a touchscreen, outside of a PMP (like an iPod Touch or Zune HD). I know that I'm still a dinosaur in that regard, and I'm slowly catching on.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #21
krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I still prefer the candybar form factor with front facing keyboard. If I didn't have my Samsung Jack, I'd want a Nokia E71/72, or a Blackberry Bold/Tour/Curve 8900.

I like being able to view, create, and edit Office documents. I also like the free tethering, and the wide range of programs (not merely apps) available for my phone. Also, I still don't like devices that rely heavily on a touchscreen, outside of a PMP (like an iPod Touch or Zune HD). I know that I'm still a dinosaur in that regard, and I'm slowly catching on.
Honestly, I felt the same way after owning a touch phone that wasn't very responsive. But the Droid is like the iPod touch and was very surprise how accurate it was.

As long as I can get create and edit Word Documents Im going to give The Droid a shot. Worse case scenrio Verizon will let you send the phone back with in 30 days.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #22
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
Got a droid for my wife and I last night. We both do like the iPhone 3Gs, but are not willing to go to AT&T as they can't provide us the service or coverage we need.

Some thoughts of the phone comparing it the the iPhone 3Gs:

- The screen is larger and has a much higher resolution than the 3Gs which makes it noticeably clearer and crisper

- The OS is responsive and quick. Side by side with the 3Gs, the 3Gs has slightly less delays and seems slightly faster, but most won't realize unless they are set side by side

- the keyboard is nice, but flat and not as good as other phones have done it before. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro I'm used to a flat keyboard already.

- The app store is decent, but clearly not on the same level as the Apple app store. Still, you can find all the basic apps and most of them are free. I did find the app that edits Office files, but it costs $15.

- The web browser is fast and comparable to Safari, only without pinch zoom. Something about Apple and lawsuits made google not include it in the US version. (European versions include pinch zoom)

- Google navigator is very nice and works just like a stand-alone gps unit. It even reroutes on the fly quite nicely.

- The external speaker is one of the best external speakers I've seen on a phone. VERY loud and clear. Much better than the speaker on the 3Gs

- Camera, the 3Gs takes pictures faster. 3MP vs 5MP, but in most cases it looks like a wash between the two

- haven't had a chance to play movies on the phone, but I expect comparable movie playback performance

- Music player is basic and lacks some features compared to the 3Gs. Maybe a music app can add the missing features

- Seems more customizable than the 3Gs (obviously)

- Has much more communication/social network integration and features compared to the 3Gs.

Overall so far it's a great phone. We're not missing or regretting not getting other phones. Between a 3Gs, Palm-pre, HTC Touch pro 2, Droid, etc. you can't really go wrong with any of those phones.
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #23
Gamblor

Gamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud of

Send a message via AIM to Gamblor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
Got a droid for my wife and I last night. We both do like the iPhone 3Gs, but are not willing to go to AT&T as they can't provide us the service or coverage we need.

Some thoughts of the phone comparing it the the iPhone 3Gs:

- The screen is larger and has a much higher resolution than the 3Gs which makes it noticeably clearer and crisper

- The OS is responsive and quick. Side by side with the 3Gs, the 3Gs has slightly less delays and seems slightly faster, but most won't realize unless they are set side by side

- the keyboard is nice, but flat and not as good as other phones have done it before. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro I'm used to a flat keyboard already.

- The app store is decent, but clearly not on the same level as the Apple app store. Still, you can find all the basic apps and most of them are free. I did find the app that edits Office files, but it costs $15.

- The web browser is fast and comparable to Safari, only without pinch zoom. Something about Apple and lawsuits made google not include it in the US version. (European versions include pinch zoom)

- Google navigator is very nice and works just like a stand-alone gps unit. It even reroutes on the fly quite nicely.

- The external speaker is one of the best external speakers I've seen on a phone. VERY loud and clear. Much better than the speaker on the 3Gs

- Camera, the 3Gs takes pictures faster. 3MP vs 5MP, but in most cases it looks like a wash between the two

- haven't had a chance to play movies on the phone, but I expect comparable movie playback performance

- Music player is basic and lacks some features compared to the 3Gs. Maybe a music app can add the missing features

- Seems more customizable than the 3Gs (obviously)

- Has much more communication/social network integration and features compared to the 3Gs.

Overall so far it's a great phone. We're not missing or regretting not getting other phones. Between a 3Gs, Palm-pre, HTC Touch pro 2, Droid, etc. you can't really go wrong with any of those phones.
How much is the data plan?
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Overkill
Staff Member

Overkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond reputeOverkill has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Zadoc

Games Owned: 432
Games Wanted: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Overkill Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via MSN to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
It's bullshit that Apple can strong arm a common sense feature like pinch zoom.

I guess that's why they don't include that in their iDon't commercial.

Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #25
Rico Suave

Rico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud ofRico Suave has much to be proud of

Live!: Karma Slave

Games Owned: 135
Send a message via AIM to Rico Suave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
How much is the data plan?
$30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
It's bullshit that Apple can strong arm a common sense feature like pinch zoom.
Apple does a lot of shady things that many people don't even realize.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: