ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Games Wanted: 0
Nexus 4 shitty battery life

I don't know how long my battery lasted when I got the device, but after 3 months of use, the battery took a nose dive. It's been about 2 months since I noticed how bad it got. I've investigated wakelocks, disabled nearly anything that can be disabled, etc.

When I upgraded to Kitkat, it got worse. And on top of that, I needed to root to make wakelock detecting & battery monitoring apps work. Somewhere along the way, I wiped the device too, and it didn't help dramatically.

I just got my wife a Nexus 5. She's new to smartphones, and (thus far) a very light user. Still, she had her phone on with no optimizations (sync on, GPS on, WiFi on, Google Now on, etc.). Her battery? After 36+ hours, she had over 60% of her battery left. These two devices are supposed to have about the same battery life

I'm confident that I've got the device in deep sleep as much as possible, which leaves me with only one conclusion - throwing my phone on the official orb/Qi charger everyday for 3 months has wounded the battery.

So the question for Exodus, or anyone else who's made this far... is there any way to refresh the battery? I don't need 72+ hours per charge, but I'd like to make it through the day with moderate use.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel View Post
I don't know how long my battery lasted when I got the device, but after 3 months of use, the battery took a nose dive. It's been about 2 months since I noticed how bad it got. I've investigated wakelocks, disabled nearly anything that can be disabled, etc.

When I upgraded to Kitkat, it got worse. And on top of that, I needed to root to make wakelock detecting & battery monitoring apps work. Somewhere along the way, I wiped the device too, and it didn't help dramatically.

I just got my wife a Nexus 5. She's new to smartphones, and (thus far) a very light user. Still, she had her phone on with no optimizations (sync on, GPS on, WiFi on, Google Now on, etc.). Her battery? After 36+ hours, she had over 60% of her battery left. These two devices are supposed to have about the same battery life

I'm confident that I've got the device in deep sleep as much as possible, which leaves me with only one conclusion - throwing my phone on the official orb/Qi charger everyday for 3 months has wounded the battery.

So the question for Exodus, or anyone else who's made this far... is there any way to refresh the battery? I don't need 72+ hours per charge, but I'd like to make it through the day with moderate use.
You could have worn out the batt by charging. I have switched my charging habits up. Only burst charging now. There is physical material in the batt that can move all wrong like and shit. It discharges metal I think. The questions I have for you are did you allow the device to turn itself off from a dead batt and did you ever find the device dead and turn it on. That will kill your battery.

You are rooted. A few things to try. Delete your battery stats. Maybe your battery.bin file has old stats in it, your batt could be potentially out of calibration. It is worth a try. Search Play for 'battery calibration' and use the first app from the results. Think it is by Nema. Also try burst charging. Short stints of charging. Do not charge to 100% and do not let it drop below say 20%. I heavily use my sg3, and I flash tons of stuff, I have a habit. There are some roms with bad battery life, yet I am able to charge my phone strictly from when I feed the cats until I get out of the shower. Typically about 40 minutes to just under an hour. It is very rare that I see a low batt warning.

There are some great roms, I underclock and undervolt. Fairly aggressive. I have pushed it. Omnirom may be available for your device. I use shared homemade build, as my device hasn't gone official. It has insane batter life. Other kitkat roms were terrible. My battery trickles like molasses. In fact the success at battery life the last six months has blown my mind.

But let's see what Ex says, he is the expert and I have been wanting to see what he has to say about batteries anyhow.

edit:Also? Have you read your battery health?

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.

Last edited by Z_E_R_O : December 30th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #3
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

As I understood it, deleting batterystats.bin doesn't do dick for calibration.

I haven't messed with custom roms & kernels. I bought a Nexus device so that I could get vanilla Android where problems would be fixed rather than linger on an instantly obsolete carrier phone. Still, I'd be willing to try it. I've never done it before though.

Where do I read my battery health?
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:

I haven't messed with custom roms & kernels. I bought a Nexus device so that I could get vanilla Android where problems would be fixed rather than linger on an instantly obsolete carrier phone. Still, I'd be willing to try it. I've never done it before though.

Don't mess with that. You don't need to. This is a fairly simple issue and I'll post more tonight when I can get to my computer.

Sometimes less is more
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:

They call it calibration. It is easy, just charge the phone to 100% and hit 'calibrate', it deletes the file and you get a new one. Your high percentages could be off. Your battery could be 72% full and read at 100%.

As for reading health of your battery, just use something like CPUSpy or a benchmark type info program. With a bad battery my evo did not read:"battery health status :good".

Yes, sometimes less is more, charge less and reset your battery stats! If you have to replace the battery and it still sucks, throw the sink at it.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Sorry for taking so long.

There are a lot of myths and misunderstandings about batteries. People mis-apply things from one battery type to another, such as battery memory. Here's a solid reference going forward.

http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

Now, while the battery memory is false, the device does calibrate itself to the battery (as Zero has mentioned). However, battery stats isn't it and that was debunked awhile ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/wiping...oogle-engineer

So wiping them does not reset your battery calibration! But there is a way to do it, but it's not a great idea. In order to do it, you must FULLY discharge the phone (wait until phone dies, power on, and let it die again). Then, FULLY charge the device while powered off. Don't power on until the battery is fully charged. This will reset the calibration.

Please note, this doesn't extend your battery life, and it's harmful to the battery. It just evens out how the phone records battery usage (it won't stay on 100% as long, and will decrease at a more even rate). So don't do this more than once every few months.

Last, there's a good tool out there for measuring wakelocks that doesn't require root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179809

They have the free download, but if you're adverse to registering at XDA, just PM me your email address and I'll send you the most recent version.
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Exodus

And now, what's most likely going on with your phone. The battery has simply degraded due to time, usage patterns, and potentially extreme usage. On my HTC Incredible and my Galaxy S2, this took roughly one year. In both cases I just swapped out a $10 battery.

Since you can't do that as easily, you still have two alternatives. First, call Google/LG. If you purchased the phone from Google Play, your warranty phone number is 1-855-836-3987. If you purchased anywhere else, it's LG at 1-800-793-8896. Tell them about your battery life's severe degradation and you might be able to get a warranty replacement. Samsung and Apple are the most generous in this area, everyone else is a crapshoot but worth a try.

And if that fails, you can just replace the battery yourself. While phones with replaceable batteries take about 30 seconds and $10, yours will be about 10 minutes and $20. Not too bad.

How to - http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+4+...lacement/13039
Where to buy (genuine battery) - http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Batte...F0JGXD951ZRRNK

Some chinese company sells a kit that includes a knock-off battery and a tool kit for $50. Just Google "Nexus 4 battery replace" for options if my above selections don't work for you.
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:

You realize that you're using Android, right? Quick fixes aren't something Google does. Just look at their battery-killing WiFi bug in ICS that never got a fix. It got a workaround in JB, but ICS users were left out in the cold.

Also, cheapo batteries give you what you pay for. I bought a cheap extended battery for my Xperia, and while it gave me more usage time, it was terrible for standby time. The stock battery holds a charge in standby for like 11 days. With the cheap battery, I'd have to charge every other day, even with zero usage.

I may be becoming an iOS convert, at least for tablets. Battery life for days on my iPad, even with heavy usage. My Transformer drops a few percent an hour in standby. I do love the keyboard though.

For phones, I still demand Android. At least until Ubuntu gets off the ground with their mobile OS.
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #9
fgarriel

Disabling Location Services, Google Now, and synching will give me acceptable battery usage for full day, typical use. However, my typical use also allows me to charge the phone regularly; so I'll just leave most of that stuff turned on.

It's when I travel or use the camera extensively that I really need the juice. I've resigned myself to getting an external battery for those times. I'll throw it in my bag and just deal with it.

That said, any recommendations on an external battery? If possible, I'd like one that has a micro-USB connector built-in. Odds of me having the battery and finding/having/not-having-previously-cannibalized a USB cable in my bag is lower than just having the battery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: