ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
always-on Google Now
?????

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:38 AM   #27
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
?????
Google Now works in three different ways.

Standard - On the vast majority of Android phones, you have to open the search app (or click the search widget at the top of the vanilla home screen) for Google Now to listen to your commands.

Google Experience Launcher (GEL) - officially only available on the Nexus 5 right now, this launcher is actually the search app masquerading as a launcher. So instead of opening the search app, you simply have to have your launcher visible to have Google Now take your verbal input.

Moto X (always-on) - Using a low-powered contextual coprocessor, the Moto X is able to listen for voice commands so long as the phone is powered on, even if the screen is off. One of the new commands added with the 4.4 update is a "find my phone" function where you call out to the phone, and it emits a ringer to help you find it. Other Google phones require you to use the Android Device manager from another device for this trigger to go off. This functionality is currently exclusive to the Moto X. The Moto G does not support it.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Google Now works in three different ways.

Standard - On the vast majority of Android phones, you have to open the search app (or click the search widget at the top of the vanilla home screen) for Google Now to listen to your commands.

Google Experience Launcher (GEL) - officially only available on the Nexus 5 right now, this launcher is actually the search app masquerading as a launcher. So instead of opening the search app, you simply have to have your launcher visible to have Google Now take your verbal input.

Moto X (always-on) - Using a low-powered contextual coprocessor, the Moto X is able to listen for voice commands so long as the phone is powered on, even if the screen is off. One of the new commands added with the 4.4 update is a "find my phone" function where you call out to the phone, and it emits a ringer to help you find it. Other Google phones require you to use the Android Device manager from another device for this trigger to go off. This functionality is currently exclusive to the Moto X. The Moto G does not support it.
My HTC One has GEL I believe. If I use a launcher other than the stock one that "always on google now" stuff doesn't work.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
My HTC One has GEL I believe. If I use a launcher other than the stock one that "always on google now" stuff doesn't work.
HTC One does not have GEL unless you went to the trouble of specifically adding GEL. Given our previous interaction, I don't think that you know how to do that (not an insult). Also, GEL doesn't have always-on Google Now. Only the Motto X has that.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM   #30
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Regardless of what anyone else is doing, I love my Nexus 5
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM   #31
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HTC One does not have GEL unless you went to the trouble of specifically adding GEL. Given our previous interaction, I don't think that you know how to do that (not an insult). Also, GEL doesn't have always-on Google Now. Only the Motto X has that.
I must have added at some point, because I just say "OK Google" and it does its thing.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #32
Exodus

Quote:
I must have added at some point, because I just say "OK Google" and it does its thing.
With the screen off, and the phone across the room, doors it respond to "OK Google Now?"
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM   #33
Baron3ss

Quote:
With the screen off, and the phone across the room, doors it respond to "OK Google Now?"
No, I meant at the home screen.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Exodus

Quote:
No, I meant at the home screen.
That's the difference between GEL and the Moto X's always-on Google Now. But yea, sound like you have GEL.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #35
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
I love this moto x but I'm about to return it.. radio reception is not great and the battery is unimpressive. About to go back to my G2 until something new comes a long I guess as I'm not really interested in any of the current crop. I tried a lumia 1520 also and I loved it but it was just too damn big. Was considering the note 3 but my wife has it and it's buggy as hell as well as really annoying how samsung set some things up that aren't changable atm with a locked bootloader.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #36
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIG View Post
I love this moto x but I'm about to return it.. radio reception is not great and the battery is unimpressive. About to go back to my G2 until something new comes a long I guess as I'm not really interested in any of the current crop. I tried a lumia 1520 also and I loved it but it was just too damn big. Was considering the note 3 but my wife has it and it's buggy as hell as well as really annoying how samsung set some things up that aren't changable atm with a locked bootloader.
There is no perfect phone. The closest that I've found is the Google Play Edition concept. You get stock Android on a popular device with really fast updates. But for those who prefer a specific OEM customization, your handset selection is more specific.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #37
PHISIG

PHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the roughPHISIG is a jewel in the rough

Live!: NeutronBomb

Send a message via AIM to PHISIG Send a message via Yahoo to PHISIG
Quote:
There is no perfect phone. The closest that I've found is the Google Play Edition concept. You get stock Android on a popular device with really fast updates. But for those who prefer a specific OEM customization, your handset selection is more specific.

I run CM11 on my G2 as I prefer the aosp style roms over crap like touchwhiz. I like the moto X stock rom as it's mostly stock android.... I like the active notifications and the voice controls though but the battery just isn't good enough for me. As for the Galaxy Note 3 I could probably live with the touchwhiz rom but the problems my wife's having with hers really turn me off of it. Simple things like running a third party launcher leave you with an always on notification. Normally you can disable that but for some reason it gets re-enabled randomly. Same thing with replacing the stock messaging app with something like handcent. You can disable notifications but after a random amount of time they come back on. Samsung has made it difficult/annoying to use anything other than their bundled software.

Believe me, Jamal's not getting a $2000.00 toy. You must mean little Tommy, or Chip.
PHISIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #38
George

George has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura about

Live!: G Monroy

Games Owned: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
I suspect he is making his own content.

Good job man

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: