ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gadgets & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Blu announces three more phones - STOCK Android 4.2

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/41...n-beat-samsung

CPU uses in these things is fairly low end these days, slower than their previously announced Quattro series. However, they are more than enough for people using these as a phone or even a gaming phone. They're just not ideal if you want to plug into your home receiver and power it with XBMC. Although they will still do that...

Blu Life One -
Quote:
The BLU Life One is built using a stunning solid aluminum body crafted with one of the most exclusive and difficult manufacturing processes available in the world today, resulting in an exceptional build quality and luxurious design. Featuring an IPS 5.0-inch HD display protected with marvelously curved scratch resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2, the BLU Life One incorporates an exceptional 13.0 megapixel autofocus back camera, LED Flash plus HD video recording up to 1080p, along with a 5.0 megapixel front camera. Internal memory includes 16GB ROM and 1GB RAM, plus expandable microSD card slot for up to 32GB. Measuring 144 x 73 x 8.9mm with 2000mAh battery and with connectivity support for GSM Quad Band plus Tri-Band HSPA 850/1900/2100, the BLU Life One will retail for $299 unlocked through various websites in the US.
Blu Life View -
Quote:
The BLU Life View was designed with an extremely thin and curved 8.9mm housing for comfortable usability as a large screen crossover device using an aluminum back door resulting in a luxurious high-end feeling. Featuring an IPS 5.7-inch HD display protected with a marvelously curved scratch resistant glass, the BLU Life View integrates a 12.0 megapixel autofocus back camera, LED Flash plus HD video recording up to 1080p, along with a 5.0 megapixel front camera. Internal memory includes 16GB ROM and 1GB RAM, plus expandable microSD card slot for up to 32GB. Measuring 161 x 82 x 8.9mm with 2600mAh battery and with connectivity support for GSM Quad Band plus Tri-Band HSPA 850/1900/2100, the BLU Life View will retail for $299 unlocked through various websites in the US.
Blu Life Play -
Quote:
The BLU Life Play was designed for a stylish and younger generation, looking for a sophisticated and refreshing design, different from the standard smartphones available in the market today. Featuring an incredibly thin 7.9mm design, the highlight of the BLU Life Play is the remarkable One-Glass- Solution touch panel technology combined with an IPS 4.7-inch HD display bringing to life the most eye-popping image reproduction available on any device today. The BLU Life Play combines an 8.0 megapixel autofocus back camera, LED Flash plus HD video recording up to 1080p, along with 2.0 megapixel front camera. Internal memory includes 4GB ROM and 1GB RAM, plus expandable microSD card slot for up to 32GB. Measuring 134 x 68 x 7.9mm with 1800 mAh battery and with connectivity support for GSM Quad Band plus Dual-Band HSPA 850/1900, the BLU Life Play will retail for $229 unlocked through various websites in the US.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Why would I get one of these over the Quattro series? Is it just the newer version of Android? I'm too lazy to do actual comparisons.

Also, it would be nice if they'd give us a damn release date on that Quattro 5.7 HD.

Last edited by Pahn : March 20th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Pahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Why would I get one of these over the Quattro series? Is it just the newer version of Android? I'm too lazy to do actual comparisons.
I'm not sure at this point. The Life View and the Quattro 5.7HD seem to be identical, with identical $299 price points, but the Quattro has better internals. Better camera on the Life View? Aluminum body versus plastic and perhaps a larger batter (I forget the battery specs on the Quattro).

Given that these are quad-core A7s, their battery life should be insane.
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the Quattro 5.7 HD is out, only it's $75 over its announced price. Eff that noise.

I'm guessing they had problems keeping production prices down, resulting in delays and eventually the significant price bump.

And who could have guessed that the Life series phones wouldn't make their April date? WHO?!

Last edited by Pahn : May 19th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Pahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Well, the Quattro 5.7 HD is out, only it's $75 over its announced price. Eff that noise.

I'm guessing they had problems keeping production prices down, resulting in delays and eventually the significant price bump.

And who could have guessed that the Life series phones wouldn't make their April date? WHO?!
I apologize if I got your hopes up. I haven't been impressed with this company so far, but I know what they're going through in terms of manufacturing issues. However, they still should not have announced specific prices or dates until the product was ready.

Also, I saw that Amazon link for the 5.7 HD for $374.99. That's $75 over the initial price, but that's not sold by Blu. The one sold by Amazon is $339.99, or $40 over the announced price. That should serve you a little better, at least. Blutek has it for $349.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Quattro-Unlock...quattro+5.7+hd
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #6
Pahn

Turns out I went totally out of left field and picked up an HTC One S for my Xperia Play and OG Galaxy Tab replacement.

The price was right and it seems to be a pretty capable phone.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Razor
I find this really interesting:
Quote:
Sammy Ohev-Zion starts our chat with an economics lesson. It costs every company about the same amount to manufacture a phone, he says — the price of an Nvidia processor and a Sharp display is consistent whether HTC, Nokia, or Motorola is signing the check. But those costs are only a small piece of the price you wind up paying when you walk into a Verizon store and buy that phone — which either costs upward of $500 or requires a hefty two-year contract. You're also paying for Samsung's nine-figure marketing budget, HTC's HR department, or Sony's huge New York City skyscraper.
What happened to the Economy of Scale? Higher quantities equaling lower purchase prices? I was under the assumption this dictated relationships.

Great read btw.
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I find this really interesting:What happened to the Economy of Scale? Higher quantities equaling lower purchase prices? I was under the assumption this dictated relationships.

Great read btw.
You're right, and I thought the same thing when I first read it. It's been known for awhile that Apple can get parts cheaper than other companies. Also, Apple has some sweetheart deals for some exclusive parts as well. The latest teardowns showed that Apple's A6 SOC cost them about half per unit as the Snapdragon 600 used in the Galaxy S4. What's more, the iPhone 5s 64GB model cost about $30 less to manufacture than the 16GB Galaxy S4.

But the point, while a bit off, is still valid. Smartphones selling around $600 typically cost about $200 to manufacture. Many people assume that Google loses money on their Nexus lineup, but that's unlikely. More than likely they allow the OEM to keep the full markup, and Google sells it at near break even. No loss (subsidy), but no significant gain.
Old October 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Razor
I suspect that as well.

For every Android phone sold, they make x number of dollars in revenue off the Play Store anyhow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: