ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old November 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Far Cry 3 - Saved the best for Last?

Far Cry 3 doesn't come out until December 4th, so the thread is a little premature. But from what I've seen from the videos, and the things I've read in reviews/heard on podcasts. Far Cry 3 the last big video game release of 2012, might just be the best of 2012.

Reviews:
  • EuroGamer - 10 out of 10 - "In the past, Far Cry's vision of a first-person shooter RPG where you explore, master and then control your environment has always been more seductive on paper than any of its developers have managed to deliver on disc. Far Cry 3 changes all that. For me, this is the new apex predator of open-world shooters. Hunt it down as soon as you can."

• Guardian - 5 out of 5 - "Every so often, a game comes along which is so irresistible that it leaves you wondering whether sequelitis might actually be a good thing. Far Cry 3 being a classic example."

• Xbox Achievements - 93 out of 100 - "Brilliant. The last big release of the year, Far Cry 3 may well top them all. Almost unfalteringly entertaining, it's a game that will have you coming back for more long after the credits have rolled"

• GameInformer - 9.0 out of 10 - "After two remarkable but uneven offerings, Far Cry finally pulls everything together in the third installment. The diverse open-world action, compelling story, and an alluring environment that begs exploration are all high water marks for the series. This is an island adventure all shooter fans should experience."

• OXM - 9 out of 10 - "handily the best game in the series so far, and deserves to hold its head high among this winter's noisy crowd of sandbox offerings. If madness is repetition, this is one reworking of a formula I don't mind losing my mind to."

• WorthPlaying - 9 out of 10 - "Packed with content, visually stunning and simply fun to play, it's difficult to find fault with Far Cry 3. Once you step into Jason's shoes, the urge to explore takes over, and you'll find yourself wasting hours wandering the island and trying to complete "just one more objective." Don't say we didn't warn you."

• GameTrailers - 8.6 out 10 - "There are miles of terrain to discover in Far Cry 3, filled with numerous trials and objectives to explore at your own pace, and an excellent sense of connection with the game's unhinged cast. The co-op and competitive multiplayer components stand as comparative low points, but chances are you'll be so busy trekking through this vast island that you'll likely write them off as just another symptom of jungle sickness."

Old November 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
And to think, I could have had this game for free...
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond reputeJesus H Christ has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 38
Send a message via AIM to Jesus H Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Jesus H Christ
can't imagine having as much fun as i had with the 1st one's editor
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
I'll probably pick this up for around $40 after i beat halo 4.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 95
Looks pretty sweet. I'll probably pick it up once I finish the other games I still haven't completed.
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Game Rogue
Staff Member

Game Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the roughGame Rogue is a jewel in the rough
Games Owned: 2029
Games Wanted: 8

Virtua V
Got it - won't be playing it until week of Christmas.

Game Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone play this yet?

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light
Games Owned: 375

BizzyBum
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Anyone play this yet?
Got it on the PC. Still haven't played too much of it yet, trying to tweak my settings to get the most out of it.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Got it on the PC. Still haven't played too much of it yet, trying to tweak my settings to get the most out of it.
And reason #1045756913213213 why I dont pc game. Are you going to decide it's time to upgrade the Graphics card because of this?

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

BizzyBum
Quote:
And reason #1045756913213213 why I dont pc game. Are you going to decide it's time to upgrade the Graphics card because of this?
haha I knew you were going to say something about that which is why I posted.

Actually since I play at a resolution of 2560x1440 my graphics card is struggling with it maxed out so I need to find out what can get me at least 60 FPS without downgrading too much. If all else fails I can turn everything to Low and have it look 10x better than the 360 anyway.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
George

George has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura about
Games Owned: 1

G Monroy
Quote:
Same here but I do play on the PC. I just don't let it dominate my money or play time by trying to keep up with the newest games running on my machine. I mainly use it to play games that work better on the PC like RTS and Civilization type of games.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #12
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
And reason #1045756913213213 why I dont pc game.
How can something optional be a determent? Just don't do the tweaking, it will still look and run better.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Doing all settings on High with DX9 gives me consistent 50-60 FPS. Good enough and the game still looks great. I just wish I had the rig to max this game on Ultra.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #14
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light
What you running?
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
i5 2500K @ 4GHz
GTX 580 1.5 VRAM
16GB 1600 RAM

I would be fine at 1080p but 1440p is pretty demanding and my 580 doesn't have enough VRAM... if I knew better I would have gotten a 3GB version when I built my rig. Also one of my 580's shit the bed. I haven't done much testing to see if it's just the card or possibly the mobo's PCI-E slot got screwed.. too lazy. lol

I'm just going to deal with it. Next upgrade will be the GTX 700 series.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #16
-Tetsuo-

1.5 ain't enough for those high resolutions, mayne. I went nuts and got the 4GB 680, but it was worth it for the 5760x1080 greatness.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
1.5 ain't enough for those high resolutions, mayne. I went nuts and got the 4GB 680, but it was worth it for the 5760x1080 greatness.
Yeah, I'm considering getting a 680.. I just don't know if I want to spend $500. Once that happens I'll want to get a 3570K, too. lol

I didn't even know they made a 4GB 680... damn. How do you like triple monitors? I tried it and it was cool but I much much prefer a single 27" at 1440p.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
-Tetsuo-

I enjoy cheating in BF3 online lol

I currently have been using the power of my PC to play Crusader Kings 2 though, which consist of maps and menus only.

Last edited by -Tetsuo- : December 6th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
-Tetsuo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
turningpoint

Yep you guys still aren't doing a good job of convincing me to get a PC.

O and no1 has still played this game! lol.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #20
turningpoint

Quote:

I currently have been using the power of my PC to play Crusader Kings 2 though, which consist of maps and menus only.
Is this game like Lords of the realm 2?

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #21
-Tetsuo-

Crusader Kings is basically Game of Thrones: The Game. It isn't about controlling a country or army, but rather about controlling and expanding your houses influence and size.

I told Jag yesterday, but I had a mentally retarded daughter who also happened to be a dwarf. Yes, mentally retarded is actually a trait in the game. Anyway, like a good father, I was trying to marry her off to a prince so that one day she might become queen and have me some kingly grandchildren. Well, king wasn't hearing that. So, I send my spymaster to his country. 3 years later, she sends word that the king is actually a homosexual. I use that as leverage to get in there and marry that girl off. Some years later, she died in a "mysterious accident" before she came of age to marry. The game basically always has multiple threads like this playing out all the time.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #22
turningpoint

Sounds like fun actually, so i assume it's not multiplayer?

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #23
-Tetsuo-

32 players
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #24
turningpoint

Quote:
32 players
Huh! Fun!!

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #25
Vid Gamer

BizzyBum
Quote:
Huh! Fun!!
Yea, too bad you can't play it and all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: