ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > Microsoft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Most powerful console available. The Xbox is doing well on its homecourt, but on the road sales aren't dominating.

Old August 8th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #1
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 191
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to bigloser Send a message via MSN to bigloser
Crytek ~ Next-gen overdue, tablets may takeover

Crytek founder Cevat Yerli did an interview with VG247. In the interview Yerli expressed his feelings that the next generation of consoles are overdue, and the longer it takes the next generation to arrive, the more in danger consoles become of being replaced by tablets as gaming devices..

Quote:

Speaking with VG247, Yerli revealed, “We can’t comment on or even speculate as to when, or if, the next generation will be announced. But we think that it’s time for the next generation and we think that it’s overdue already.”

The Crytek CEO also painted tablet devices as a very real threat to console specs, “The current generations are drying out and the longer we wait for the next generation of consoles, the higher the likelihood that they could fall behind tablets in terms of being the first thing people reach for when the time comes to play games.”

~ VG247

“Tablets are putting pressure on the gaming industry, and taking over in some ways, so that should be kept in mind.”
Anyone have the same feelings as Crytek's CEO? Is this generation outstaying it's welcome? Are consoles in danger of being replaced by tablets?
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Tablets on the casual level yes, but replacing consoles, lol no.

And yes i think the next gen is over due, they should releasing this fall.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light
Games Owned: 375

BizzyBum
Next-gen for consoles is lonnngggg overdue. Seriously, I feel like I've had my Xbox 360 for 15 years. lol

I would say shit like Ouya is more threatening then tablets.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
When tablets are pushing graphics that are even in the ballpark of console games, the console generation is showing its age.

That said, I was never one to rush a new generation. If MS hadn't killed the original Xbox about a year too soon, we'd not be in this predicament.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #5
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
When tablets are pushing graphics that are even in the ballpark of console games, the console generation is showing its age.

That said, I was never one to rush a new generation. If MS hadn't killed the original Xbox about a year too soon, we'd not be in this predicament.
MS was smart doing what they did, they got out the 360 a year before PS3 and it shows that was the correct way to launch, they took Sony's massive market share and destroyed it.

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
MS was smart doing what they did, they got out the 360 a year before PS3 and it shows that was the correct way to launch, they took Sony's massive market share and destroyed it.
Hard to say they destroyed it...last I checked, the PS3 moved a ton of units.

Granted, the 360 has sold more, but it's not like Sony is out of business.
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of
Games Owned: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Hard to say they destroyed it...last I checked, the PS3 moved a ton of units.

Granted, the 360 has sold more, but it's not like Sony is out of business.
But, Sony is not unquestionably dominant like it was with the PS2. Microsoft stole a huge % of market share from Sony with this generation, and made themselves a real player in the console biz.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road
Nobody ever says "Jump on PSN for a quick game" for a reason.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
donster8u

donster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished road
Games Owned: 9
Send a message via MSN to donster8u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer View Post
But, Sony is not unquestionably dominant like it was with the PS2. Microsoft stole a huge % of market share from Sony with this generation, and made themselves a real player in the console biz.
Not only that they recently had major layoffs, Vita is not selling.
They just don't have the $ to take on m$$$ next gen.
And umm didnt they steal playstation from Nintendo.
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #10
bigloser

bigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond reputebigloser has a reputation beyond repute
Sony's TV division is killing them. Their gaming division did post a loss last quarter due to much worse than expected Vita sales. But before the Vita launched, I think Sony's video game division had a solid 2 years of profits.

But their TV division is just draining the company. I think I've read it's posted 8 straight years of losses, we're talking about huge amounts of money.
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #11
turningpoint

On the PS3 and Xbox360 note, while the PS3 did sell close to as many xbox360's, the problem is the XBOX360 at one point was 20million more systems sold, that millions upon millions of more games/controllers/accesories sold.

Thus why MS is kicking ass in their gaming division while, Sony is "getting by".

Old August 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #12
donster8u

donster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished roaddonster8u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
Sony's TV division is killing them. Their gaming division did post a loss last quarter due to much worse than expected Vita sales. But before the Vita launched, I think Sony's video game division had a solid 2 years of profits.
But how long has the PS3 been out?
Can 2 years make up for 5 ? 6 years of loss?
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #13
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer View Post
apples and oranges really. Sony was dominant with the PSX and the PS2 because of almost a complete lack of competition. This generation was the first one where someone actually had a viable alternative to Sony.

I wouldnt say they "stole" a huge % of market share as much as they filled the void in the market. Sony only had that market share because there was pretty much no one else to give it too.
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
bigloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donster8u View Post
But how long has the PS3 been out?
Can 2 years make up for 5 ? 6 years of loss?
I could be wrong, but I remember an analyst, or maybe even Sony said they will never recoup what they lost this generation on the PS3.

:EDIT: Here's the article about it... http://consolecity.com/forum/showthr...ny+ps3+blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
apples and oranges really. Sony was dominant with the PSX and the PS2 because of almost a complete lack of competition. This generation was the first one where someone actually had a viable alternative to Sony.

I wouldnt say they "stole" a huge % of market share as much as they filled the void in the market. Sony only had that market share because there was pretty much no one else to give it too.
Coming off the NES, and SNES, the N64 was competition.

Last edited by bigloser : August 10th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #15
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute
Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
Coming off the NES, and SNES, the N64 was competition.
lol, no it wasnt. I dont remember anyone over the age of 12 being excited for the N64.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #16
bigloser

Quote:
lol, no it wasnt. I dont remember anyone over the age of 12 being excited for the N64.
Maybe so, but people expected Nintendo to win that generation.
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You must not have known many people then, because N64 was the fuckin bidness round these parts.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #18
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light
Games Owned: 375

BizzyBum
I had way more fun playing my N64.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #19
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron3ss View Post
You must not have known many people then, because N64 was the fuckin bidness round these parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Same i got it when i was 14, and played it pretty much everyday until the DC camr out with online.

James Bond WAS the game to play in college from when it released in 1997 till about 2001, along with Mario Kart 64.

I guess you didn't go to college?

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #20
donster8u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
George!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: