ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > Gaming
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gaming One place to talk all games

Old November 1st, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Games Wanted: 0
Voodoo Vince Brief Review

Last night I finally finished Voodoo Vince, (it seemed fitting to end it on Halloween for some reason).

After playing it start to finish, and collecting every item, (a first for me in a platformer), I have to say this is in the top five, maybe top three platforming games of all time.

Briefly on a scale of 1 to 10

Graphics: 9.5

They're mostly excellent. I took half a point off for some technical aspects like Vince's odd shadow placement at times and occasionally odd looking lighting. Artistically it's a 10.

Sound: 9

The music is wonderful and really fits with the game. Atmospheric sounds like wind when you're in high places and bugs buzzing around the bayou are a nice touch. The voice overs are great, but I wish Vince had more lines.

Gameplay: 10

Excellent controls, and a well behaved camera make sure that the only reason you die is because of your lack of skills, not poor game design. The difficulty starts out easy and slowly ramps up to "old school" hard by the end. For me it was a perfect balance. Some of the later levels you'd see an area and think, "there's no way in HELL I"m going to get through that", but after some serious practice you do and the rewards are great. The levels are varied in design and never boring. There's always something wierd and new to tackle. But as with many games, you get out what you put into Voodoo Vince. If you just fly through it not bothering to find all the items, you miss out on some serious challenge, (trying to chase down the crystal skulls for example).

Overall: 9.5

Nothing's perfect, but Voodoo Vince is a damn near perfect 3D platformer and one of the best games on the Xbox, (if you're a platformer fan).

HIGHLY recommended for anyone looking for a fantastic platforming experience.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
My review of Voodoo Vince:

When I was playing the demo, I saw some strobing.

Graphics 0 out of 10

I thought I heard Voodoo Vince say that SUVs are evil.

Sound 10 out of 10

No first person perspective? I wanna be able to play from the perspective of my characters ankles!!

Gameplay 0 out of 10

Overal: 9.5 out of 10

Maybe once I get a chance to play more than 5 minutes of the game, I'll post further impressions, but I doubt it.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3
packrat68

packrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 139
Send a message via ICQ to packrat68
Ouch.

Ten characters
Rule #1

The Computer ALWAYS Cheats
packrat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM   #4
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
My review of Groo the Wanderer's review of Voodoo Vince:

Content: 0 out of 10

Other than the fact that Groo makes it clear he's still stewing over one of my attacks on SUV's, we learn nothing about the game.

Value: 1 out of 10

His review does have some value. It's a head's up that I can expect this "Forum Dingleberry" to be clinging to my ass for a while until he grows tired of defending his God (SUVs) from my blasphemy.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:53 PM   #5
packrat68

packrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enoughpackrat68 will become famous soon enough

Games Owned: 139
Send a message via ICQ to packrat68
Quote:
Forum Dingleberry
Bwahahaha..

Best thread of the day....
Rule #1

The Computer ALWAYS Cheats
packrat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM   #6
Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud ofGroo the Wanderer has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 44
I'm not a fan of SUVs. I drive a Sentra, 33mpg on the highway.
Groo the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: