View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
The one I linked to is currently blocked by multiple US carriers and requires a DNS filter to work anymore. You can deny it all you want, but carriers have begun blocking these apps. As one becomes popular, it gets blocked, and several others rise up to take their place. Filtering has become the way to do it.

I never said that it did or didn't need root for tethering. What I did say was to look into it because most HTC CDMA phones have options to tether for free without root. You're dealing too much with absolutes. My favorite trick with the Incredible (the sister phone to the Evo) was ##778 and dun removal. Free wifi tethering without root or any external apps. If the Evo can't do it, then so be it. I simply wanted to make you aware to look for a possible option. I went looking on my phone, found it, and couldn't be happier.

No, you simply don't understand how this works. That's not an insult either, so if you decide to get butt-hurt over it I couldn't care less. Bottom line is that Sprint can monitor the amount of data that you use, but they cannot determine the type without either using deep-packet inspection (illegal), or an on-device switch that says "I am/am not tethering." There are ways to disable these switches without root on MANY but NOT ALL devices (##778 on HTC devices on Verizon, for example). So, if you bypass that "switch," all the carrier has left is deep packet inspection. It's illegal, so they don't admit to it. If you get a notice from them you simply call their bluff as so many AT&T users did.

You REALLY should read these articles before you refer to them. Yes, I saw the interview, and I also saw the amended articles after that. He (Dan Hesse) admitted that Sprint throttles less than 1% of mobile data users. It was later clarified that users are only throttled when they are prepaid (Virgin, Boost) under certain conditions. No Sprint postpaid (contract) unlimited user is currently throttled. Here's one of the amended articles.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...tomers-or-not/
Dude, seriously, what the fuck is your problem? Lighten the fuck up!

Sprint does not block the infamous tethering apps, other providers...sure. But stay on topic. This is about an EVO on Sprint.
If they limit any traffic, and the same thing as prepaid customers, customers that roam can get hit, to even 1% of their traffic, they admit they are throttling. Again, as you are pointing out it is possible to tether other phones without root I am warning it is possible for them to take notice and/or action against something customers agree not to do.
Quote:
"Unlimited doesn't mean you can hook it up to a server farm," White said.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote