View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
Really think an EVO needs root to tether.
Probably, but worth his time to investigate it. It's a nice to perk to NOT have to root for a feature that you can get without root access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_E_R_O View Post
He has an EVO. Pretty sure if he has to apply the "fix", which is easy, it will work. If he's new to Sprint, he should go for it. If not, I would make sure to stay near the data he usually uses. They have been "cracking down". Many ROMS have the fix built in. I use a ton of data. So if I started tethering regularly now they would notice. Whether they would do anything is a different story, but they don't just allow it anymore. Some get warned or worse, some do not.
One thing that people fail to understand is that, so long as you've "flipped the switch," a carrier cannot tell if you've tethered without physically examining your phone. If they see higher than normal data usage, they can send you an alert along the lines of, "you've been tethering, stop." They're hoping that you're dumb enough to confirm it for them.

Android is nice in that it can do virtually anything that a PC can do. So, if you're tethering, you can still claim that you viewed the website on your phone. Of course, there are a few websites (Windows Update?) that wouldn't make sense, but carriers haven't been that anal.

Because carriers cannot detect if you are tethering, they have blocked certain tethering apps from the Market with Google's help. Also, each carrier has a fair use policy, so if you use too much data, even on unlimited, they can still boot you, with or without tethering. Verizon and AT&T went away from this when they started throttling users at the end of this past year. Sprint claims they they don't do it to Smartphone users. T-Mobile has been throttling. So, the anti-tethering stance has died down quite a bit.

So to summarize, the only way to get caught tethering is for you to walk up to your carrier and say, "I've been tethering."
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote