View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosRE3 View Post
Since you seem to be more knowledgeable I just rooted my phone following these steps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1218386

But when I put superuser on it I cant tell if anything has changed, basically all I want is the free hotspot or any other cool things to put on the phone.

Also explain why most people use CM6 or 7 on their phone.
Sorry for the delay. While some of your questions have been answers, I'll still take a shot at it.

Superuser - All this essentially does is gives you admin rights for apps that request it. Apps that need it are few and far in between. Try the free version of SetCPU. If it requests root access, then you're good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

Free hotspot - All you need in order for this to work is to essentially slip a switch. Data usage by your phone is reported as either phone or tethered (in whatever lingo your carrier uses). Unlocked phones report data all the same regardless if you are tethering (hence why I can tether for free on my unrooted SGS2). All you have to do is find this switch and flip it so that the carrier can't see that you're tethering, and not all phones require root for this. All HTC Verizon phones can do this without root by dialing ##778 and changing 2 settings. I haven't found something similar for Sprint. If there isn't a compatible "hack" then you'll have to find a wireless tethering app that works and isn't banned.

Cyanogen - CM6/7/9 (8 was never released) is an attempt to put a stock-like Android experience on many phones. Your phone comes loaded with HTC Sense. There seems to be a love/hate attitude towards Sense, so if you hate it, switch to CM. Also, CM will generally support a more recent version of Android than the official release. However, the latest release on your phone is 2.3.4, and the latest official is 2.3.7 (not a big deal). Your phone may or may not get CM9 (Android 4.x) as the CM team is struggling to get all of the drivers they need to pull off a stable release. However, there are some community members putting together semi-stable ports for those who want it anyway.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote