ConsoleCity Forums

ConsoleCity Forums (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Voodoo Vince Brief Review (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57644)

DG November 1st, 2004 11:14 AM

Voodoo Vince Brief Review

Last night I finally finished Voodoo Vince, (it seemed fitting to end it on Halloween for some reason).

After playing it start to finish, and collecting every item, (a first for me in a platformer), I have to say this is in the top five, maybe top three platforming games of all time.

Briefly on a scale of 1 to 10

Graphics: 9.5

They're mostly excellent. I took half a point off for some technical aspects like Vince's odd shadow placement at times and occasionally odd looking lighting. Artistically it's a 10.

Sound: 9

The music is wonderful and really fits with the game. Atmospheric sounds like wind when you're in high places and bugs buzzing around the bayou are a nice touch. The voice overs are great, but I wish Vince had more lines.

Gameplay: 10

Excellent controls, and a well behaved camera make sure that the only reason you die is because of your lack of skills, not poor game design. The difficulty starts out easy and slowly ramps up to "old school" hard by the end. For me it was a perfect balance. Some of the later levels you'd see an area and think, "there's no way in HELL I"m going to get through that", but after some serious practice you do and the rewards are great. The levels are varied in design and never boring. There's always something wierd and new to tackle. But as with many games, you get out what you put into Voodoo Vince. If you just fly through it not bothering to find all the items, you miss out on some serious challenge, (trying to chase down the crystal skulls for example).

Overall: 9.5

Nothing's perfect, but Voodoo Vince is a damn near perfect 3D platformer and one of the best games on the Xbox, (if you're a platformer fan).

HIGHLY recommended for anyone looking for a fantastic platforming experience.

Groo the Wanderer November 1st, 2004 11:56 AM

My review of Voodoo Vince:

When I was playing the demo, I saw some strobing.

Graphics 0 out of 10

I thought I heard Voodoo Vince say that SUVs are evil.

Sound 10 out of 10

No first person perspective? I wanna be able to play from the perspective of my characters ankles!!

Gameplay 0 out of 10

Overal: 9.5 out of 10

Maybe once I get a chance to play more than 5 minutes of the game, I'll post further impressions, but I doubt it.

packrat68 November 1st, 2004 12:29 PM

Ouch.

Ten characters

DG November 1st, 2004 01:34 PM

My review of Groo the Wanderer's review of Voodoo Vince:

Content: 0 out of 10

Other than the fact that Groo makes it clear he's still stewing over one of my attacks on SUV's, we learn nothing about the game.

Value: 1 out of 10

His review does have some value. It's a head's up that I can expect this "Forum Dingleberry" to be clinging to my ass for a while until he grows tired of defending his God (SUVs) from my blasphemy.

packrat68 November 1st, 2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Forum Dingleberry
Bwahahaha..

Best thread of the day....

Groo the Wanderer November 1st, 2004 02:09 PM

I'm not a fan of SUVs. I drive a Sentra, 33mpg on the highway.

Pahn November 1st, 2004 04:21 PM

Alas, you're still a fag. And apparently a nutrider.

Groo the Wanderer November 2nd, 2004 03:24 AM

Everyone's gotta have a hobby.

Intruderb November 3rd, 2004 11:35 AM

played the demo and wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll grab it at under 10. BTW, the best platformer for the box is without question Spongebob: Battle for bikini bottom- i shit you not...

Pahn November 3rd, 2004 06:13 PM

No sir. Voodoo Vince is the real deal.

DG November 3rd, 2004 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intruderb
played the demo and wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll grab it at under 10. BTW, the best platformer for the box is without question Spongebob: Battle for bikini bottom- i shit you not...

I'm a big fan of Spongebob and I just couldn't take what they did to the characters. Haven't they heard of "Cell Shading"?

Aeon Storm November 3rd, 2004 07:16 PM

I can expect this "Forum Dingleberry" to be clinging to my ass for a while...

Hilarious!

Jerome May 24th, 2005 12:33 PM

After getting Voodoo Vince for Christmas I finally finished the game last week :) Needless to say when you have Halo 2 and Xbox Live, as well as other games, you have to divide your gaming time up for each title. Anyway I thought the game was great. One of the better platformers I've played in a while. The final boss segment was a little easy, although the same could be said for almost the entire game... but it was still fun to play and I for one would love a sequel.

DG May 24th, 2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome
After getting Voodoo Vince for Christmas I finally finished the game last week :) Needless to say when you have Halo 2 and Xbox Live, as well as other games, you have to divide your gaming time up for each title. Anyway I thought the game was great. One of the better platformers I've played in a while. The final boss segment was a little easy, although the same could be said for almost the entire game... but it was still fun to play and I for one would love a sequel.

I'd love a sequel also, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

And the game is on the easy side until that last level. But if you go for 100% completion you'll find some serious challenges. To date it's the only platformer I've bothered to go for the 100% completion score. It's actually worthwhile and addicting, challenging fun.

bigloser October 5th, 2016 06:36 PM

DG must be ecstatic...

Voodoo Vince Remastered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w22BSdz_Dc

Jerome October 5th, 2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigloser (Post 1648956)
DG must be ecstatic...

Voodoo Vince Remastered

Haha, I was really surprised to see this news today. I hadn't given this game any thought in years, and although a sequel would be a lot better, there's so much I don't remember about this game it probably won't be bad to play through it again. I just hope the price is right, and it's not $60.

I also hope Microsoft does this with some of their other original Xbox games. They have several other first party titles that never got a sequel, or anything after the original Xbox. Considering the smaller user base of the original Xbox, there's probably a ton of people who would be playing them for the very first time.

bigloser October 6th, 2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 1648960)
Haha, I was really surprised to see this news today. I hadn't given this game any thought in years, and although a sequel would be a lot better, there's so much I don't remember about this game it probably won't be bad to play through it again. I just hope the price is right, and it's not $60.

I also hope Microsoft does this with some of their other original Xbox games. They have several other first party titles that never got a sequel, or anything after the original Xbox. Considering the smaller user base of the original Xbox, there's probably a ton of people who would be playing them for the very first time.

I had an itch to play it earlier and the year and rebought a copy. I still like it quite a bit, it has tons of personality, and plays well. Not sure why it never caught on other than maybe it was the wrong genre for the Xbox userbase at the time.

As far as Microsoft remastering other old franchises, it could be an issue. Back sometime during the Don Mattrick era when it seemed he hated video games and was trying to kill the Xbox brand, the Xbox division sold back the Mech Assault and Crimson Skies IP to their original creators. So they would have to pay licensing fees along with remastering those games, hopefully they still do it one day. Outside of those two games, im not sure what I would want remastered...

Sudeki was ok, but it was ok in 2004. Tao Feng was very disappointing. Never liked the Blinx games, Azurik was just bad... a new Brute Force could work, but they would need to change a lot, like add some semblance of personality. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee was ok, but Microsoft doesn't own that, and it's been remastered for other platforms. That Phantom Dust remaster is suppose to be happening, but we'll see...

But to be honest most of their Xbox stuff was kinda bad outside of Project Gotham, Halo, Fable and Forza.

I think i would like to see some of their newer stuff remastered. Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey are the two that come to mind...

Jerome December 6th, 2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigloser (Post 1648977)
...the Xbox division sold back the Mech Assault and Crimson Skies IP to their original creators.

Well that sucks. Crimson Skies was one of the first games I thought of.

Jerome March 2nd, 2017 02:16 PM

Although I didn't hear it myself, Phil Spencer was apparently on IGN's "Unlocked" podcast and said that the release date for Voodoo Vince will be announced sometime next week.

Jerome March 28th, 2017 04:02 PM

According to IGN the release date is April 18th. They didn't mention a price, but another site said it was going to be $14.99.