ConsoleCity Forums

ConsoleCity Forums (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   XBL ruined gaming? (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46194)

MiaBran June 11th, 2003 04:58 PM

XBL ruined gaming?

Now don't get me wrong.... I love my xbox live (spent a couple hours last night cruising in MCII talkin to my regulars), but it seems like games without xbl are gettin the shaft. It just seems like if it's not xbl, then why waste the money? I'm in this boat too. As a matter of fact, it took me a min to convince myself to make the choice to want and go out and get Soul Calibur 2 when it drops. Where do you stand? Out of all the new games (and I'm not talkin about bargin buys).... how many of them have been XBL games?

Swack June 11th, 2003 05:01 PM

Brute Force, and I've been on an under $10 spree as of late. But I just bought Midnight Club II mainly because of its XBL compatibility and shyed away from The Hulk, Enter the Matrix, and a few others because of their non-compatibility.

I guess your right, it hurts a lot of the gamers that do have XBL. The others however, are still good to go, and might even swing the other way.

TheGlove June 11th, 2003 05:04 PM

I've felt this way since DC online, actually. Offline play doesn't really interest me much...except for a good RPG here and there.

DirtySanchez June 11th, 2003 05:06 PM

I'm just like TheGlove. With a couple of incredibly rare exceptions, since the online heyday of the DC I don't buy anything to play offline except for RPGs.

MiaBran June 11th, 2003 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DirtySanchez
I'm just like TheGlove. With a couple of incredibly rare exceptions, since the online heyday of the DC I don't buy anything to play offline except for RPGs.
Mean if you couldn't play it on xbc you stuck to pc gaming?

jasn3 June 11th, 2003 05:12 PM

It started with Diablo II, and moved onto consoles with the original PSO. Playing with people is almost invariably more fun than playing alone, even if they're not sitting anywhere near you. Sometimes BECAUSE they're not sitting anywhere near you. ;)

While I'm sure I could enjoy any number of 1p games, since I tend to have a pretty good time with any game I load up, I'm much more likely to load up an online multiplayer game than any other kind of game.

coachcobbs June 11th, 2003 05:14 PM

even when dc didnt have sega.net, all the game i did buy i didnt hardly play unless my friends came over, so i been waiting for live for a couple years now..

Mooreberg June 11th, 2003 05:34 PM

When was XBL for Soul Calibur 2 ever announced? The most I've seen is some random picture of a sticker that somebody placed on a monitor at E3. If you avoid SC2, do it because it doesn't improve much in terms of gameplay over the original.

BlackTJ June 11th, 2003 05:40 PM

I don't know if I would say it's ruining console gaming but it definetly has changed my priorities. When I see or hear of a new game coming to the Xbox my first question is "is it Live?"

I think it's evolution. Used to be that gameplay was what mattered, I played Adventure on my Atari for hours at a time and that game had horrible graphics, you were a block, not a blocky-type character... and actual block. Then better graphics was the thing. It added something new, something different to focus on. Then multi-player... and so on and so on... it's now Live play.

I'll admit that you can have a Live enabled game and it can suck big time, the same can be said about all other game changes in the past, but I think it'll come around to where there is a base standard that all Live type games will have to achieve to keep it successful...

oh shit, I just realised I was talking out of my ass, sorry about that.:saywhat:

Bingo June 11th, 2003 05:50 PM

I never buy a non online game(PC or Console) unless it's a sure AAA title.

The Krakken June 11th, 2003 08:34 PM

I'm in the same boat as you Alias. I won't even consider a game unless it has XBL features.

Notable exceptions for the future however, include:

Halo 2 (even if they scrapped the Live section right now, I'm there on the first day)

Ninja Gaiden

KOTOR (The anticipation got the better of me on this one)

Half Life 2 (I know its live enabled, but even so, they say it looks better on XB than on PC)

Fable (I'll consider anything)

Soul Calibur

And a few others.......

Now for sports game......totally unacceptable. Madden is out this year....at least as my MAIN FOOTBALL TITLE.

278lives4ever June 11th, 2003 09:22 PM

yeah i know what you mean MIA. I miss the good ole days of playing offline...I thought about this 2 years ago. NFL2k1 i was thinking ruined my love for videogames. Becuase if it wasnt online iwas incredibley bored with it. In fact i found it borng to play my friends in multiplayer games becuase they werent that good. I why im a huge online gaming fan. I think the same goes for computer. My brother play his comp online he cant stand his ps2 anymore because there arent any good online games that he likes.

Bigg Russ June 11th, 2003 09:41 PM

No, it hasn't ruined gaming. It's changed it.

And the only games I buy now are XBL compatible.

MiaBran June 11th, 2003 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mooreberg
When was XBL for Soul Calibur 2 ever announced? The most I've seen is some random picture of a sticker that somebody placed on a monitor at E3. If you avoid SC2, do it because it doesn't improve much in terms of gameplay over the original.

I never said it was, I said I was gonna skip it b/c it didn't have it.

MiaBran June 11th, 2003 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigg Russ
No, it hasn't ruined gaming. It's changed it.

And the only games I buy now are XBL compatible.

Yeah but you're like never on so you don't count :cool:

Jerome June 11th, 2003 10:12 PM

Personally Xbox Live support doesn't affect my purchasing decision. Only in a few cases... like I don't think I'd get Unreal Championship if it didn't have Live play. Same with maybe Counter Strike. But a game like Halo 2, Amped 2, or many others (that will have Live support), I'd still get even if there was NO live.

Xeo June 11th, 2003 10:39 PM

here's how it has effected me... and this is since i started playing PC games online... not Live... online gaming has been around for a long time so this discussion should be about online gaming... not just live... they haven't created anything new, really...

but as i was saying... as far as my purchasing of games that aren't online... i still buy them as frequently as i did before, and without hesitation... if i think it's going to be a good game, i'm going to buy it... for instance... Halo, MGS, Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy... you know... the games you just cannot pass up no matter what... those don't have to be online, i'm always going to buy those no matter what... however... online gaming has effected how much i actually play or get into some of these offline games after i buy them... for instance... i bought Zelda: The Wind Waker when it was released... and i've yet to really get into it fully, or make an effort to finish it... cause i'm just too addicted to the quick fix of hopping on an online game, getting my win or my kills and being satisfied... instead of spending a long period of time trying to solve puzzles, defeat bosses, and so on and so on...

with that said... it does effect my purchases in one way however... a game that is online will automatically get extra points and will have a higher chance of me buying it then an offline game... if i had a choice to buy a mediocre online game or a mediocre offline game... i'd always pick the offline one... which sometimes leads to me purchasing a game just because i can play it online and then getting bored with it quick... for example, Unreal Championship... I could say PSO... but my PSO experience goes back to like 2 years ago... and since the game hasn't changed all that much, i blame that more for my lack of interest in PSO for XBOX... and not that it wasn't all that good of a game to begin with...

mountpanic June 11th, 2003 10:52 PM

Multiplayer compatibility has never been a determining factor in my game purchases, so I haven't felt remotely compelled to go online.

That said, I agree with Russ that it's really just adding a dimension to the potential of games, but I'd certainly never let it get in the way of a great 1 player experience.

Erbs June 11th, 2003 11:05 PM

XBL didnt ruin gaming. XBL kicks ass. I buy online or offline games. Halo and Splinter Cell kick ass, and their offline only. But Ghost Recon, NHL2k3 are awesome online.

278lives4ever June 11th, 2003 11:19 PM

all i now is im the same way i play off lin games shit ive put about 27 hours into the new zelda. i play my gamecube offline and xbox online.

MiaBran June 12th, 2003 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xeo here's how it has effected me... and this is since i started playing PC games online... not Live... online gaming has been around for a long time so this discussion should be about online gaming... not just live... they haven't created anything new, really...
No, It's about live games vs non live games. Not online vs offline. Most pc games have online play so it's not quite the same. We were buying offline games before XBL dropped.... but with XBL starting to roll stronger.... things have changed (that and this is the xbl forum).

Quote:

but as i was saying... as far as my purchasing of games that aren't online... i still buy them as frequently as i did before, and without hesitation... if i think it's going to be a good game, i'm going to buy it... for instance... Halo, MGS, Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy... you know... the games you just cannot pass up no matter what... those don't have to be online, i'm always going to buy those no matter what... however... online gaming has effected how much i actually play or get into some of these offline games after i buy them... for instance... i bought Zelda: The Wind Waker when it was released... and i've yet to really get into it fully, or make an effort to finish it... cause i'm just too addicted to the quick fix of hopping on an online game, getting my win or my kills and being satisfied... instead of spending a long period of time trying to solve puzzles, defeat bosses, and so on and so on...
Halo, MGS2, FF all came out before online play (and GC isn't that strong when it comes to online play anyway). I also agree, there are your must buys, BUT when there's an avalanche of titles rolling around, you're gotta gonna spend 300 dollars on games in a month.

Quote:

with that said... it does effect my purchases in one way however... a game that is online will automatically get extra points and will have a higher chance of me buying it then an offline game... if i had a choice to buy a mediocre online game or a mediocre offline game... i'd always pick the offline one... which sometimes leads to me purchasing a game just because i can play it online and then getting bored with it quick... for example, Unreal Championship... I could say PSO... but my PSO experience goes back to like 2 years ago... and since the game hasn't changed all that much, i blame that more for my lack of interest in PSO for XBOX... and not that it wasn't all that good of a game to begin with...

I think I understand what you meant. That's kind of my point though. Like I hear people gettin pumped about Mace Griffin, but my first question was "is it online?" and then when denied.... I decided to pass.

Bigg Russ June 12th, 2003 12:15 AM

I think the point here is more like, since we're paying to play online, has that ruined the offline experience?

Meaning, "Shit, I've paid for this service, I better damn well use it!"

MiaBran June 12th, 2003 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigg Russ
I think the point here is more like, since we're paying to play online, has that ruined the offline experience?

Meaning, "Shit, I've paid for this service, I better damn well use it!"

Just cuz you pay for the service doesn't mean you care about it. Shit... my mom pays for cable but could careless. Also it's not like it's a monthly fee.... you paid 50 for the year when you got your kit. Shit, that's like buying a game and getting bored with it. Most people who buy games for XBL are buying them b/c they ACTUALLY USE xbl.

Xeo June 12th, 2003 01:18 AM

this is an interesting topic... but i don't like name of the thead... it should have been something along the lines of...

Has XBOX Live ruined the offline XBOX gaming experience?

or something along those lines... i kinda' drifted off-topic on my earlier post because of the title of the thread... i'm not trying to get on your carse or anything Mia... i'm sure you weren't really give it all that much thought...

as for Mace Griffin... i'm not sure why this game is being so overhyped... what sets this game apart from all the other 1st person shooters out there... the overhyping isn't justified at all... and for christ's sake it takes place in the Star Trek universe... YUK!

every other hyped FPS had it's selling point, or an engine that powers the hype machine... for example...

Halo: Vehicles
Red Faction: Destructable Walls
XIII: 1st Cel-Shaded FPS

now what's fueling Mace Griffin's hype machine...? perhaps i missed it... but the only thing i can think of is the excess amount of coverage that certain popular videogame sites have been giving it... but i always thought that was a product of gamer anticipation or excitment... i think that's changed as of late... it's as if gaming sites are being payed off to cover and overhype games for certain developers... thus fooling their readers into purchasing those games and then setting them up for a big let down when the game doesn't live up to all the hoopla...

Groo the Wanderer June 12th, 2003 05:24 AM

I hate online gaming.

Playing online sucks, because you have to play with other people. And other people are assholes.