ConsoleCity Forums

ConsoleCity Forums (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Microsoft (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Crytek ~ Next-gen overdue, tablets may takeover (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188183)

bigloser August 8th, 2012 03:24 AM

Crytek ~ Next-gen overdue, tablets may takeover

Crytek founder Cevat Yerli did an interview with VG247. In the interview Yerli expressed his feelings that the next generation of consoles are overdue, and the longer it takes the next generation to arrive, the more in danger consoles become of being replaced by tablets as gaming devices..

Quote:

Speaking with VG247, Yerli revealed, “We can’t comment on or even speculate as to when, or if, the next generation will be announced. But we think that it’s time for the next generation and we think that it’s overdue already.”

The Crytek CEO also painted tablet devices as a very real threat to console specs, “The current generations are drying out and the longer we wait for the next generation of consoles, the higher the likelihood that they could fall behind tablets in terms of being the first thing people reach for when the time comes to play games.”

~ VG247

“Tablets are putting pressure on the gaming industry, and taking over in some ways, so that should be kept in mind.”
Anyone have the same feelings as Crytek's CEO? Is this generation outstaying it's welcome? Are consoles in danger of being replaced by tablets?

turningpoint August 8th, 2012 08:12 AM

Tablets on the casual level yes, but replacing consoles, lol no.

And yes i think the next gen is over due, they should releasing this fall.

Vid Gamer August 8th, 2012 09:57 AM

Next-gen for consoles is lonnngggg overdue. Seriously, I feel like I've had my Xbox 360 for 15 years. lol

I would say shit like Ouya is more threatening then tablets.

Pahn August 9th, 2012 11:58 PM

When tablets are pushing graphics that are even in the ballpark of console games, the console generation is showing its age.

That said, I was never one to rush a new generation. If MS hadn't killed the original Xbox about a year too soon, we'd not be in this predicament.

turningpoint August 10th, 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pahn (Post 1584995)
When tablets are pushing graphics that are even in the ballpark of console games, the console generation is showing its age.

That said, I was never one to rush a new generation. If MS hadn't killed the original Xbox about a year too soon, we'd not be in this predicament.

MS was smart doing what they did, they got out the 360 a year before PS3 and it shows that was the correct way to launch, they took Sony's massive market share and destroyed it.

Pahn August 10th, 2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turningpoint (Post 1585020)
MS was smart doing what they did, they got out the 360 a year before PS3 and it shows that was the correct way to launch, they took Sony's massive market share and destroyed it.

Hard to say they destroyed it...last I checked, the PS3 moved a ton of units.

Granted, the 360 has sold more, but it's not like Sony is out of business.

Groo the Wanderer August 10th, 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pahn (Post 1585049)
Hard to say they destroyed it...last I checked, the PS3 moved a ton of units.

Granted, the 360 has sold more, but it's not like Sony is out of business.

But, Sony is not unquestionably dominant like it was with the PS2. Microsoft stole a huge % of market share from Sony with this generation, and made themselves a real player in the console biz.

Baron3ss August 10th, 2012 12:25 PM

Nobody ever says "Jump on PSN for a quick game" for a reason.

donster8u August 10th, 2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer (Post 1585065)
But, Sony is not unquestionably dominant like it was with the PS2. Microsoft stole a huge % of market share from Sony with this generation, and made themselves a real player in the console biz.

Not only that they recently had major layoffs, Vita is not selling.
They just don't have the $ to take on m$$$ next gen.
And umm didnt they steal playstation from Nintendo.

bigloser August 10th, 2012 01:09 PM

Sony's TV division is killing them. Their gaming division did post a loss last quarter due to much worse than expected Vita sales. But before the Vita launched, I think Sony's video game division had a solid 2 years of profits.

But their TV division is just draining the company. I think I've read it's posted 8 straight years of losses, we're talking about huge amounts of money.

turningpoint August 10th, 2012 01:29 PM

On the PS3 and Xbox360 note, while the PS3 did sell close to as many xbox360's, the problem is the XBOX360 at one point was 20million more systems sold, that millions upon millions of more games/controllers/accesories sold.

Thus why MS is kicking ass in their gaming division while, Sony is "getting by".

donster8u August 10th, 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigloser (Post 1585080)
Sony's TV division is killing them. Their gaming division did post a loss last quarter due to much worse than expected Vita sales. But before the Vita launched, I think Sony's video game division had a solid 2 years of profits.

But how long has the PS3 been out?
Can 2 years make up for 5 ? 6 years of loss?

speKtor August 10th, 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groo the Wanderer (Post 1585065)

apples and oranges really. Sony was dominant with the PSX and the PS2 because of almost a complete lack of competition. This generation was the first one where someone actually had a viable alternative to Sony.

I wouldnt say they "stole" a huge % of market share as much as they filled the void in the market. Sony only had that market share because there was pretty much no one else to give it too.

bigloser August 10th, 2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donster8u (Post 1585094)
But how long has the PS3 been out?
Can 2 years make up for 5 ? 6 years of loss?

I could be wrong, but I remember an analyst, or maybe even Sony said they will never recoup what they lost this generation on the PS3.

:EDIT: Here's the article about it... http://consolecity.com/forum/showthr...ny+ps3+blu-ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by speKtor (Post 1585096)
apples and oranges really. Sony was dominant with the PSX and the PS2 because of almost a complete lack of competition. This generation was the first one where someone actually had a viable alternative to Sony.

I wouldnt say they "stole" a huge % of market share as much as they filled the void in the market. Sony only had that market share because there was pretty much no one else to give it too.

Coming off the NES, and SNES, the N64 was competition.

speKtor August 10th, 2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigloser (Post 1585097)
Coming off the NES, and SNES, the N64 was competition.

lol, no it wasnt. I dont remember anyone over the age of 12 being excited for the N64.

bigloser August 10th, 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speKtor (Post 1585107)
lol, no it wasnt. I dont remember anyone over the age of 12 being excited for the N64.

Maybe so, but people expected Nintendo to win that generation.

Baron3ss August 10th, 2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speKtor (Post 1585107)

You must not have known many people then, because N64 was the fuckin bidness round these parts.

Vid Gamer August 12th, 2012 12:02 AM

I had way more fun playing my N64.

turningpoint August 13th, 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron3ss (Post 1585122)
You must not have known many people then, because N64 was the fuckin bidness round these parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid Gamer (Post 1585181)

Same i got it when i was 14, and played it pretty much everyday until the DC camr out with online.

James Bond WAS the game to play in college from when it released in 1997 till about 2001, along with Mario Kart 64.

I guess you didn't go to college?

donster8u August 13th, 2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid Gamer (Post 1585181)

George!