ConsoleCity Forums

ConsoleCity Forums (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   It's been 19 years now... (http://www.consolecity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239553)

Aeon Storm September 9th, 2018 08:17 PM

It's been 19 years now...

...is your Dreamcast still thinking?

Pahn September 14th, 2018 07:16 AM

I gave mine away years ago. Terrible system.

Vid Gamer September 17th, 2018 08:32 AM

I still have it somewhere. Not hooked up, though.

Such an amazing system and the reason why I'm posting here.

erp September 19th, 2018 06:29 PM

Many of my retro consoles are still hooked up to a 27" CRT at my parents' house. I play them when I visit for holidays. My nephews always ask to play the PS2 but when by myself I always fire up the DC.

Vid Gamer September 20th, 2018 09:17 AM

We need a Dreamcast Mini :)

Shinobi128 September 23rd, 2018 04:41 PM

First a Sega Saturn mini. :)

Pahn September 24th, 2018 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid Gamer (Post 1657320)
We need a Dreamcast Mini :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobi128 (Post 1657351)
First a Sega Saturn mini. :)

Got you both covered.

Old Fart Gamer September 26th, 2018 12:16 PM

I still remember the all-night PSO marathons with Game Rogue, Raist, DS, Mord, Packrat, Ratpack, Driver-X, etc.

The sheer volume of loot strewn across the lobby floor was hilarious.

PantherX20 November 4th, 2018 04:25 PM

I bought another one a year ago for the DC version of Alpha 3.

.....not my smartest purchase.

BIG MIKE September 14th, 2019 03:52 PM

I think mine is hibernating in the attic!

Vid Gamer September 15th, 2019 12:19 AM

Does anyone have a modded DC?

They have mods for HDMI input, SD card readers, better fans, overclocked, etc.

Pretty expensive, though. Would be cool to hook a DC up to my monitor via HDMI.

erp September 16th, 2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid Gamer (Post 1660831)
Does anyone have a modded DC?

They have mods for HDMI input, SD card readers, better fans, overclocked, etc.

Pretty expensive, though. Would be cool to hook a DC up to my monitor via HDMI.

Someday I would like to own a Dreamcast with an SD card reader or some other way to play games without the disk. I think USB and IDE HDD are options too.

A wireless controller would be nice. Right now the cheapest option that I found is $170 + $15 shipping but within the past year I saw a couple announcements of bluetooth controllers with a dongle that were in development. I'll wait for those.

I would like to try DreamPi. It lets you connect your Dreamcast to a Raspberry Pi to play games online. I figured there would just be a bunch of empty games but their online community seems active and they plan certain games for certain nights in advance. I hear that PSO is the most active game.

Vid Gamer September 17th, 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erp (Post 1660844)
Someday I would like to own a Dreamcast with an SD card reader or some other way to play games without the disk. I think USB and IDE HDD are options too.

A wireless controller would be nice. Right now the cheapest option that I found is $170 + $15 shipping but within the past year I saw a couple announcements of bluetooth controllers with a dongle that were in development. I'll wait for those.

There's also an updated model of the VGA>HDMI cable coming out soon which is supposed to fix issues with the current one.

After looking up some cool mods like DCHDMI, GDEMU, DreamPSU, upgraded Noctua fan, broadband adapter, etc. I realized it's too expensive to get all this packaged with one console. I checked an ebay listing that just had the DCHDMI and a nice 3D printed SD card holder with GDEMU installed and it sold for $400! The fan is cheap but the broadband adapter is hard to find and would run another $100+ and only works on a few games anyway.

Quote:

I would like to try DreamPi. It lets you connect your Dreamcast to a Raspberry Pi to play games online. I figured there would just be a bunch of empty games but their online community seems active and they plan certain games for certain nights in advance. I hear that PSO is the most active game.
Yup, it's kinda crazy how many games they have working:

https://www.dreamcastlive.net/games

The broadband adapter is not really worth it for the asking price of $100+ online because only Phantasy Star Online, Quake III Arena, and Toy Racer are compatible with it which is a shame.

But man, it would be really cool to play some of my old favorites again. PSO, 4x4 Evo, Alien Front Online, NFL 2K2, NBA 2K2, WSB 2K2, Worms World Party. Such good times playing those games and competing on the ladders for Dricas. lol

Jerome November 10th, 2019 03:03 PM

We have two Dreamcasts in our house, although only one of them is actually hooked up at the moment. I bought one two days after the system launched, and my wife (girlfriend at the time) played mine and went out and bought her own a couple months later... to this day it's the one and only console she's ever purchased.