PDA

View Full Version : The hype is dying! Get those paddles in here!!!!

Swirlie
December 4th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Check it out here: http://www.latimes.com/business/20001204/t000116099.html

The media is finally seeing through the hype. At least some of the media.

Here is a snippet of what the retailers think but are afraid to voice publicly and sony's predictable response:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Major retailers agree Kantor's math is correct. But none would speak on the record for fear of alienating Sony and losing out on any shipments they may have coming.
"Inventory shows the entire chain has maybe a dozen units," one executive said. "But all that really represents are boxes that have been lost or stolen. I have nothing to sell except software and accessories, which, incidentally, aren't selling without the console. We are not happy."
But Sony insists that it is meeting its commitments.
"There's not much we can do to respond to reports that are just speculation," said Molly Smith, director of public relations for Sony Computer Entertainment America. "This, from my perspective, isn't a huge story. We're shipping in exactly what we promised. Our corporate challenge right now is to get as much product as we can into this market. Our priority is the consumer. This is all a little overwhelming for us as well."
--------------------------------------------
I still cant believe SONY is fucking up this bad. Usually the headlines are filled with Sega money woes, but SONY seems to be the damsel in distress right now.

------------------
I'm just a crazy mutha fucka, livin it up, not givin a fuck, livin life in the fast lane!

DirtySanchez
December 4th, 2000, 03:30 PM
"Right now, people are still holding out hope that they can find a PlayStation [2]. Sony has given false hope to a number of consumers. But at some point, people are going to have to decide whether or not they're going to drink the Sony Kool-Aid."
~Peter Moore

Sony = Jim Jones? Wow, I knew they were a little shady, but seriously http://www.consolecity.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
I would not care to discuss the current state of, or future of the nation with a 16 year jack ass still sucking his mother's tit.

~MH

Big_Bag_Man
December 4th, 2000, 04:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the PS2 sales numbers are once they can mass-produce them to meet demand. Until then I'll hold off judgement, because I think these numbers are decieving.

------------------
BigBagMan
Hylian Badass
Giving his thoughts, two cents at a time

It's too easy for nature's mistakes to survive in today's cushy world. Natural selection has failed us.
~ BK

ThePolack
December 4th, 2000, 04:12 PM
These numbers are directly tied in with Sony's inability to meet demand, and so you're right to be a little skeptical BBG, but if Sony can't get their production numbers higher real soon, this could be what ultimately kills this platform.

Everyone wants a new gaming machine right now. If they can't get the PS2, some of them will get a DC. That's not a real huge risk to Sony since a lot of people are stupidly ignoring the DC and its great library simply because it's Sega and their propaganda-addled minds aren't capable of making an intelligent consumer decision. But if there is still a shortage of PS2s when the XBox finally hits shelves, then Sony is screwed.

Sony has to pull out of this sooner than later.

------------------
In the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

[This message has been edited by ThePolack (edited December 04, 2000).]

Raist
December 4th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Here's my question. Why is it so hard to build these machine's? I work in a factory. I know how an assembly line works. I don't see how when you have the resources that Sony has that you can't meet the demands of the consumer's.

If it's this big of a problem for a big company like Sony, then why do you have any hope for the Microsoft or Nintendo being able to better meet the demands of the people. If all of the people who wanted a PS2 went and bought DC's would the DC's be as rare or rarer than the PS2's?

Just some thoughts...

------------------
A moment of silence, please. For our fallen friend 2D.

Shenmue is Japanese for boring...
-Eric Mylonas

Shin Egg Robo
December 4th, 2000, 08:44 PM
I seen some a pic of the PS2 motherboard in summer 1999 and it has so many little things on it that one millimeter off and the whole thing can go wrong. Also some of the chips may be hard to come across or they are expensive and Sony can't buy millions of them. How would I know. Maybe because Sony would rather make TVs and other electronics?

Well, I feel that when the PS2 supposedly becomes readily available in March 2001, it won't be. There are millions waiting in line for this machine and it may not be until June or July 2001 until all of the demands by people today are filled. There are so many people wanting to get it; I know that when March 2001 comes, its not going to be readily available to everyone. Its just going to be sold out as usual until the people who have $300 on hand have the system they have been waiting for months to have under their TVs.

Sony shot themselves in the foot, plain and simple. There is no silver lining for Sony and PlayStation 2 this Christmas. Sales for Dreamcast have dramatically reduced and NBA 2K1 and Shenmue are outselling over 30 PS2 titles. Looking at the [pathetic] European sales, PlayStation 2 is doing deceptively crappy. 15,000 for TTT? Is this for real? From what I hear, nobody like Dreamcast in Europe but PS2 isn't providing a good enough alternative. 70,000 units in France is too pathetic for words.

Sega in America is swooping in and grabbing thousands into millions of new hardware sold because people want something to hold off. Well, these people will buy Dreamcast games, which apparently is NFL 2K1, NBA 2K1, and Shenmue. Sony can do all they want but by the time March 2001 comes, Sega may already have 6-8 million Dreamcasts sold. Imagine the sales games like Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 2, and Crazy Taxi 2 will get. Its going to be gigantic. I bet that 2001, Sega will get an extra 6-8 million as the system will be a very friendly $99 and over 50 titles will be $19 or lower and at least 100 titles will be $29 or lower. Maybe the standard price of all games will go down to $39.99 or $34.99.

------------------
Shin Egg Robo's 5 Most Anticipated Games

1. Sonic Adventure 2 (DC)
2. Dreamcast Bomberman (DC)
3. Super Robot Wars Alpha 3D (DC)
4. Bust A Move 4 (DC)
5. Virtua Fighter X (DC)

Groo the Wanderer
December 4th, 2000, 09:49 PM
_ _
*<*
(_(_| <Hello, my name is Shin Egg Robo, and I talk out of my ass>

------------------
If playing one of --if not the-- greatest game of all time is "lame" then sign me up for biggest lamer around. Calling Cannon Spike a "real" game (as opposed to a fake one?) is just pompus. Don't try to elevate yourself over other people here just because you are pumped about some run of the mill shooter from Capcom.

~BigBagMan

[This message has been edited by Groo the Wanderer (edited December 04, 2000).]

Solid Snake
December 4th, 2000, 10:37 PM
HAH, Man Groo you even provided a little sketch as to what talking out of your ass refers to, nice!

------------------
"It was Keyser Soze, Agent Kujan...I mean the devil himself. How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

ThePolack
December 5th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Raist:

It's hard to make PS2s for two reasons:

1. Emotion Engine

2. Graphics Synthesizer

Both of these things are huge!!! I mean huge. I've never seen a microprocessor wafer this big. There aren't a lot of plants in the world that are capable of making processors of this size. In fact, Sony had to retool some plants to produce what they're making now. That's expensive. The real kicker is that there was a bad batch of Graphic Synthesizers produced a while before the US launch of the PS2 and that's what really ate into the number of PS2s that Sony could ship. They're still recovering from that loss.

MS and Nintendo won't have this problem because they're using processors that are more easily (and more inexpensively) produced. They will do a better job of meeting their demand because their boxes are easier to build. This is why Sony has to start meeting its demand before these competitors hit the market. They won't have these kind of shortages. They may still have shortages due to unpredictable demand, but it won't be anything like this due to ease of production and the fact that their chips can be produced at a lot more plants if they need to at a moment's notice. These numbers don't mean much for the long-term success of the PS2 right now, but if Sony doesn't pull these numbers up soon, they have reason to start worrying.

------------------
In the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

Jerome
December 5th, 2000, 05:21 PM
*LOL* @ Groo...

------------------
The Sega Dreamcaster (http://thesegadreamcaster.tripod.com)
The Sega Dreamcaster Forum (http://pub14.ezboard.com/bthesegadreamcasterforum)

Moon Tears
December 6th, 2000, 04:07 PM
http://www.geocities.com/kellys_master/afro-moon.jpg http://www.geocities.com/kellys_master/slave1.jpg

_ _
*<*
(_(_| <Hello, my name is Shin Egg Robo, and I talk out of my ass>

-- Groo the Wanderer

AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaa!

RoTfLmAo! http://www.geocities.com/kellys_master/smile.gif

SCREAMINGLY FUNNY!

~Peace!~

------------------
Extremist view of the week:

I will never eeeeever listen to a ICP song..
They suck sooooo much that they went to *yet another shiver down spine* WCW.. World's Crappiest Wrestling..

That is how pethetic they are.. I have said it once and i'll say it again.. White people are to rap as White people are to Basketball.. NO TALENT HACKS..

-- Old Dirty Bastard

How Extreme are YOU fanboy?

The Krakken
December 6th, 2000, 06:37 PM
thanks for rewriting the sig groo.

------------------
Moonie's funny moment of the week:
As for this misconception of me prefering white women to black women I have to say that's QUITE ridiculous indeed.