PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here use the Dreamcast as their only internet appliance?

Exodus
December 2nd, 2000, 10:13 AM
I've had enough of PW's BS. I can't afford even a cheap computer, so I'm seriously considering a cheap WebTV or something.

Also, Indrema launches in 4-5 months with the latest version of NetScape, for only 300 bucks.

My main annoynces with PlanetWeb software are:

1)Can't clear cache, but can't acces what is in it either. Give us one or the other PW...

2)Still no mouse support, and keyboard support is pathetic. I thought it was the keyboard and not the software, until I played Quake 3. Q3 was so responsive.

3)No SSL - They ca lie all they want saing it supports up to 128-bit SSL, but onlt one of of nearly 25 online shopping/ application form sites actually load up.

4)Poor interface - Give us back the netlink interface...Which is what I was using before the DC.

5)No instant messaging (AIMIRC sucks). Even WebTV has a built-in MSN messenger.

6)Not download-friendly. This goes back to point #1. If you download an MP3 or sofdec, you have to reset in order to download another one since the first one stays in te system memory. But you can't access it even though it is still there, you have to reset and download again.

7)HTML and MIME e-mail support would be nice, but I can live without that.

8)(this being just speculation)Do you honestly think the broadband adapter will be supported by PW when it is released? Give it a year or longer.

If I can afford it, Imay get that new bluelight computer at K-Mart. But there are probably other alternatives if I shop around.

------------------
Exodus' Console Tech Page (http://www.angelfire.com/games2/releases)

Voodooman
December 2nd, 2000, 12:46 PM
I would think you could get an older like p 200 or even higher for no more then $200-300, and hell for $1k cdn even mind you, you could get something really good.

Lucky-Best.....$1030 Cdn or $686 US
Abit PII/PIII motherboard
Intel PIII-800mhz CPU and fan
128MB SDRAM PC100, 1.44FD, 20G HD
50X cd-rom, PCI-128 Sound, 120W speakers
56K voice fax modem, Logitech mouse,
PS2 KB, ATX tower, ATI Xpert2000-32M

Slap in an alright monitor and your good to go!

iComer-Best..$620 $413 US
Celeron AGP motherboard
Intel Celeron 566mhz & fan
15G HD, 64MB SDRAM, 1.44FD
48X cd-rom, Sound B/I, speakers
56K fax modem B/I, Mouse, pad, USB
PS2 KB, 10/100LAN, 32M TNT AGP Shared

Not as fast and not as much ram but still more then enough to surf the web.

[This message has been edited by Voodooman (edited December 02, 2000).]

Swirlie
December 2nd, 2000, 06:04 PM
I will continue to use my stone age PC until DC gets a decent browser. Man, what the hell are they thinking??

------------------
Midgets will rule the earth....but only for a short time.

Jerome
December 2nd, 2000, 10:48 PM
I can't get my DC online until the broadband adapter comes out. Although I don't think I'll use it for web-browsing, that much, cause my PC works great.

------------------
The Sega Dreamcaster (http://thesegadreamcaster.tripod.com)
The Sega Dreamcaster Forum (http://pub14.ezboard.com/bthesegadreamcasterforum)