PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue questions/gripes (disk 1 spoilers)

Splort
November 21st, 2000, 03:00 PM
I'm a little ways into the second disk now, and just wanted to post a few questons/opinions/gripes that I have about it.

If it's 1986, where the hell did Ryo get a Saturn from? Time traveling aliens? Also, the Virtua Fighter and Sonic toys shouldn't exist yet, should they?

Here's something that kind of bugs me, sometimes you don't have to do something anymore, but it stays in your journal, and you don't know you don't have to do it.

For example, when I was looking for the 3 blades, first I went to the Ramen Shop and they told me to go find 2 guys at a bar. Then, since it was still early, I went to the barber shop (another of the 3 blades), but they told me to go to a different barber shop. Then when I went to the patch shop (the last of the 3 blades), instead of giving me more info, I (Ryo) just asked them where the barber shop was. Also, when I tried to go to the bar to find those 2 guys, Ryo wasn't interested in finding them anymore, all he cared about at this point was going to the barber shop, he could care less what the last of the 3 blades had to say.
Now I understand that the patch shop, the 2 guys in the bar, and the barber shop all eventually lead to the same place (the other barber shop), but it's weird when you have multiple paths to follow, and as soon as you start down one, the rest are unavailable to you.

Here's another example of the same thing. I took the letter in Chinese to Liu-san in the park. He told me he couldn't read it, and to take it to Tao-san in the Chinese Restaraunt. On the way to Tao-san, I met the Chinese kid who I had just saved (ok, well, I saved his soccer ball at least), and he told me that his grandma could read it. Ok, great, I thought. I now have two leads. So I went to Tao-san, and instead of asking if he could read the letter, Ryo asked him where the China shop was (where the kid's grandma is).
Now I figure, if I had made it to Tao-san before seeing the kid, he would have told me he couldn't read it, and I would have ended up at the grandma's shop anyway, but couldn't he have done that anyway. Ryo just automatically gave up on Tao-san, because the grandma is the end of the chain. My problem is, the code knows that, the developers know that, and the people who have played before know that, but I don't know it, so I still wanted to try Tao-san.

Anyway, all of this isn't to say I don't like the game. I'm having a lot of fun. And I'd rather have people hit me over the head with where I need to go next than be wandering around forever with no clue, so I can't complain much.

------------------
"Ahh! The Atmosphere!"
"Ahh!"

Big_Bag_Man
November 21st, 2000, 04:10 PM
I agree, but the game can't make you find every single journal entry, it would get too tedious. I'm missing pages at a time of notebook stuff. You just need to find out what's necessary and go with it.

------------------
BigBagMan
Hylian Badass
Giving his thoughts, two cents at a time

If it werent for companies like SEGA and Nintendo, Sony wouldn't know who to steal from.
~ Swirlie

3dDude
November 21st, 2000, 10:18 PM
Sure there's lots of weirdness going on in Shenmue. Fuku-san's got that big Virtua Fighter poster in his room too.

What perhaps was more limiting as I played was that I knew in some cases where I wanted to go, but the game engine wanted me to get several clues from other people before it unlocked certain parts. (example: the tattoo parlour. I had noticed the tattoos on the people, seen the locked door in the apartments (although it said it opened at 2:00!) and saw the ads on the abandoned buildings....but I had to wait until somebody told me about the place to "open" it up.

"FREE" has it's limitations I guess.

------------------