PDA

View Full Version : Skies Of Arcadia Thread (Spoiler Free)

Raist
November 17th, 2000, 10:59 AM
This is not my review I'm far from done with this master piece, but I figured I needed to spread the new's about just how great this game is. Cause I'm still the only person who has bought a copy at my local Software Etc. which makes me sad. http://www.consolecity.com/forum/frown.gif

I know that alot of the RPG players are busy with FFIX, but this game should not be overlooked.

Where do I start...

The graphics are really good, it's not overly detailed, but the look is wonderfully colorful and certainly not an eye sore. I think that we may be seeing the begining of what the new generation of RPG's is going to look like. So far I've seen only a few spell's and special attacks but the animation's are very nice. Very good light effect's. Kinda of PS2 like lighting which is very cool.

Gameplay is what you would expect and some of what you might not. Since you are an air pirate, you have to travel threw the air going from floating island to floating island. There are two types of battle system's, Ship to Ship and Party versus Monster. Ship to ship is hard to explain, but once you give it a try you'll find it easy to pick up and play. Party battles are handle with a group special bar which recharges each round, when you cast a spell or use a special it takes a set amount of your group's pool of point's. I'm sure if you played the ODCM demo disk you have the basic idea. What I found a little disturbing was the variety the DC's memory was able to add to the battles. In your typical Final Fantasy dungeon you might have say 5 monsters that you might encounter, but in SoA the dungeons seem to double, or maybe triple that number. In battle it's not uncommon to see 3, 4 or even 5 different monsters varities in a single fight. And considering how the elemental properties play such a major role this makes combat alot more interesting. Speaking of elements you can change the elemental propreties of your weapon at anytim by pressing the Y button, at anytime during combat. By using a set color you learn spell's in that elemental color. It's simple but yet there's so much to it.

The story so far is pretty good, but I'm not going to go into that at this time.

My one complaint would be the music. I'm not used to this low level of quality in my music. Square has spoiled me with the quality sound and music, most recently Chrono Cross comes to mind. http://www.consolecity.com/forum/smile.gif But the music isn't terrible, it's just pretty much forgettable.

To end this post in what I hope will be a long thread, let me say that if your an RPG fan I think you should give this game a try, I think you'll like what you find.

I'll go into more details latter on. And if you guy's have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be around some this weekend, but with this game and Cannon Spike, I'm a very busy and happy gamer. http://www.consolecity.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
A moment of silence, please. For our fallen friend 2D.

Shenmue is Japanese for boring...
-Eric Mylonas

Indra
November 17th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Great impresssions bud.

ya, its sad that not many people will be picking up this title. I figure it wont sell well because....

a)multiplatform gamers will choose FF9 over it
b)dc gamers are split between grandia and SoA (im one of these)

Ill be picking up Grandia II on Dec. 5th.... and as soon as im done w/ it ill pick up SoA. Competition is stiff for RPGs this season (SoA, G2, Shenmue, ff9, Ogre Battle, Zelda, PSO, ect) So it doesnt surprise me that SoA isnt selling terribly well, considering the fact that there has not been a single advertisement for it. (Sega should place a copyright on shitty marketing...)

In any event, ill be picking this game up sometime around the holiday season

------------------
Censorship does far more damage than any 4 letter word ever could...

Splort
November 17th, 2000, 02:28 PM
I agree that FF9 is probably keeping some people from buying SOA.
And dammit, why don't they put out some commercials for it? It looks really nice. A couple of shots of the airship flying near a floating continent, a little ship-to-ship battle and some regular combat scenes and you would have people flocking to the stores to pick it up.

------------------
"Ahh! The Atmosphere!"
"Ahh!"

The Punisher
November 17th, 2000, 06:11 PM
I picked this baby up but WWF No Mercy for the N64 and Shenmue is keeping me from it. I played about 30 minutes of it today and I like it. I sold my PSX so FF IX is not distracting me!

I will tell what I do NOT like!

After playing Silver and Shenmue I just can barely stand having to READ the text! In SoA their are voice sound bites like "lets go" and "All right" so why not make it 100% audible like Silver and Shenmue?

Granted this is nit picking a fine game (I give it 90 out of 100 so far) but it's time to make ALL RPG's audible! Leave text in as an option for the few who would say they want it!

------------------
I let the dogs out..Now shut the hell up!

Razor
November 17th, 2000, 11:29 PM
Not a great time for release

people are either in deep with Shenmue or salivating for Grandia 2

------------------
more skittles

Bodkin
November 20th, 2000, 11:41 PM
it has random battles, and lots of them.

does anyone still think that random battles improve a game?

------------------
Whackin' off is good for you.

Overkill
November 21st, 2000, 06:54 AM
Bodkin>

Yes.

------------------
Regards,
Overkill

Splort
November 21st, 2000, 02:27 PM
I don't mind random battles, but I don't like them in conjunction with maze-like dungeons (where there are lots of paths to explore). It's hard when you have to do a lot of backtracking and you keep getting interrrupted every few steps. It makes it very easy to forget where you are going, and end up gettting lost, or going the wrong way.
Of course, if the battles aren't so frequent, then it isn't so bad.

------------------
"Ahh! The Atmosphere!"
"Ahh!"