PDA

View Full Version : Play the games, not the system. But...did you ever favor a system over another?

Exodus
November 20th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Just curious, was there ever a reason to favor one system over the other?

I'm kind of impartial to the Indreama, for reasons I've stated numerous times. I may get one pretty soon too. It promises to have a decent gaming library, and I like the overall package (system, mouse, kb, game, 300 bucks) and the fact that the system is basically the same as the X-Box, just a different OS.

I also like the DC and PS2, two of the most innovative consoles ever made. Normaly, a new console plays games. The DC also has a built-in modem, while te PS2 plays movies. Unlike the 3DO, these consoles offer somethin new, and don't require a mortgage to own.

------------------
Exodus' Console Tech Page (http://www.angelfire.com/games2/releases)

Swirlie
November 20th, 2000, 11:21 PM
I was always partial to my PSX over my N64. MGS, GT and GT2 always took all of my time up. My N64 is in the closet, and may only see the light of day again when I get MM. I think that it DOES come down to games in the end. PSX just had more software that I liked, while 64 had those famous Nintendo touch games. I may be a graphics whore, but I believe games can be made balanced to include the best of both worlds. I want a PS2, but all this bad press is forcing me to take a wait and see attitude.

------------------
Shenmue: The greatest game ever.

Aarvark
November 21st, 2000, 03:30 AM
A question for Exodus

Are there any confirmed games for the indreama yet?
I am also interested in this console (i usually buy most sytems) and would like to know more about it.

------------------

Overkill
November 21st, 2000, 06:24 AM
I prefered NES over Master System

PSX over N64

Genesis over SNES

Dreamcast over PS2

Atari over Intellivision

And Saturn above all.

To Arvark>

Here's the draft of an article that I wrote on Indrema:

draft 1

Indrema Formulates Plan...
For those of you who don't know, the Indrema Corperation is entering the next generation colsole war with their Indrema Entertainment System, (IES), formerly known as the L600.

The IES is an x86 based platform running at 600 MHz with 64 MB of main memory. The GPU is a next generation nVidia GPU with 32 MB of frame buffer memory. The GPU and frame buffer memory reside on the IES Slide Bay, a proprietary technology that allows the consumer to upgrade the GPU and frame buffer memory by ejecting a custom card that resides in the IES Slide Bay and upgrading to a new card with an upgraded GPU and expanded frame buffer memory. The IES will ship with a 10 GB hard drive, DVD player and Ethernet connection.

The IES will be released in Spring 2001 at a price point of $299; far to high, in my opinion, to compete in the big leagues against the likes of Sega, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

Indrema is taking a very interesting, unique, approach at gaining a niche in the market. Today, (11/6/00), Idrema launched the Indrema Developer Network (IDN). Their goal is to create a network of developers to support their console from home. To achieve this goal, Indrema released version 0.3 of the Indrema development kits, known as IESDK, which is currently available for download from their website. The company will lincense anyone as a developer free of charge as long as they develop freeware only. For those who wish to make a profit off of their Indrema creations, a small linsesing fee will apply.

The 0.3 version of the IESDK will include the following components in either .tar or .rpm format.

Linux kernel 2.4-pre10
Mesa 3D version 3.4
nVidia driver 0.9-5
OpenAL build 20000908
XFree86 version 4.0.1

Note: The Indrema development kit is designed for the Linux operating system, as the IES is a Linux based console. The IESDK will not work with Windows or Macintosh systems.

Today's news brings Indrema into the spotlight for the first time ever. When the L600 project was first announced, it took weeks before major industry pubicstions picked up the story. If the company is successful in creating a large enough user base for the IDN, they may be able to create large enough of a niche in the market to hold their own. Traditionally, the success of a console is determined in a large part by third party support. The poor preformance of the Sega Master System in the 80's, the Sega Saturn in the 90's, and the struggling N64 today, are all a testiment to this fact. As of now, no third party developers have been named as IES supporters. I strongly doubt that the console will see success with a large home developer network and no major third parties in a industry where seasoned veterans struggle to stay a float.

Hopefully, in the weeks to come, a developer list will follow this major announcement. When the IES is first displayed publicly at next year's E3, perhaps it will be running a Tomb Raider game or a Capcom fighter.

------------------
Regards,
Overkill