PDA

View Full Version : Place your bet: which developer will go ....

Nightwarrior
November 17th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Credit to Quartet

...belly up the next.

"Top Selling PS2 Software (October 2000)

Madden NFL 2001, Electronic Arts - 122,178
Tekken Tag Tournament, Namco - 75,268
SSX, Electronic Arts - 43,475
Ridge Racer Type V, Namco - 23,490
NHL 2001 - Electronic Arts - 20,127
Smuggler's Run - Rockstar Games - 19,050
Midnight Club - Rockstar Games - 18,883
Summoner - THQ - 18,072
Time Splitters - Eidos - 17,847
Armored Core - Agetec - 16,630"

My choice go to EA. Many other will follow and i hope sega will start some aquisition.
Some studio i would like sega to buy:

- Dreamwork (the only EA part that i love).
- Cristal dynamic (event if they are pretty solid money wise).
- Namco (they are far more in dept than sega and produce far less game, also it's the only
other serious arcade game maker).
- Midway (this would be one of my prefered company if they polish their game a bit more
because their gameplay is topnotch).

Now i would like to talk about the sonic bang effect. A sonic bang occur when the sound
wave produced by a jet plane can't go faster than the plane going at mach1. I think the
PSX2 is doing just that and developer are going to bang with it:

the number of game in development is stagering. The delay come one after the other. The
user base don't go up very fast (very slow in fact). New game come in production but a
majority of those previously announced are not out yet.

This mean that for X-mas 2001, the number of PSX2 game out will be so big that most
game will sell just around 2000 unit. This will be a combinaison of small user base, too
much game on the market and the launch of 3 major console (X-box, GBA, NGC).

------------------
Come to the dark side, welcome to:
The universal gaming forum.....Dark Knight`s Multi-console fortress (http://server5.ezboard.com/bdarkknightspsxfortress.html)

PSX, DC, Nintendo,PC, System Wars, Chat room...No holds barred.

Nightwarrior
November 17th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Here's a fun fact:
All those numbers added together equals 375,020, which is less than the number of
consoles sold (500,000)

Also think of the people who bought games and didn't get a system. I think at least
5-10% of the systems were just bought by people to sell on ebay(which isn't fair but I don't
blame those people, I blame Sony). I'm still buying a PS2 though, but screw ebay. I have a
lot of patience since I have a DC .

------------------
The universal gaming forum.....Dark Knight`s Multi-console fortress (http://server5.ezboard.com/bdarkknightspsxfortress.html)

Old Fart Gamer
November 17th, 2000, 12:00 PM
From the same Gameweek article as the sales figures:

Overall, early adopters of Sony’s new machine purchased a total of 309,414 hardware units and 530,122 pieces of software in October.

That may explain your PS2 hardware/software discrepancy, Nightwarrior.

------------------
"Recovering alchie"

~Moon Tears

Old Fart Gamer
November 17th, 2000, 12:01 PM
BTW, I think Volition is toast. http://www.consolecity.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Recovering alchie"

~Moon Tears

Nightwarrior
November 17th, 2000, 01:34 PM
Not to mention that many gamers bought software before the launch thinking that they would get a PS2.

Man, 3rd parties won't be making much revenue until Spring time. By then the launch games would have depreciated in value.

SO what happened to the other 200,000 consoles?

------------------

Old Fart Gamer
November 17th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Canada?

------------------
"Recovering alchie"

~Moon Tears

Shin Egg Robo
November 17th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Sales are well, crappy. The reason why the PS2 games aren't selling is because that either people are using at a cheap DVD player with the nice option to play games or they are waiting for later. I overheard one person say that they got a PS2 and no games because, and I quote, "PS2 has no good games. I'm going to wait until Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 comes out." No matter what developer is going to make revenue, sales are pretty sucky right now and developers can't really afford this. EA has a lot of money in the bank but you know very well that EA invested at least $10 million into that game. Even if it were just a mere $5 million, EA just broke even. Businesses are not supposed to break even, they are supposed to profit. Look at Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore. Not even 20,000 sales and I'm sure they invested some good money into that game.

PlayStation 2 is going to get considerably less support as the time goes on. Dreamcast is a great system and NFL 2K1 and NBA 2K1 are giving Sega and Visual Concepts some nice profits. Plus Crazy Taxi, a February 2000 game, managed to beat 24 PS2 game positions (with just Madden NFL 2001 and Tekken Tag Tournament having higher positions) and its an old game. From a hard to program machine, PS2 isn't going to get support from developers if they can't make money off of it. Its all I have to say.

------------------
Shin Egg Robo's 5 Most Anticipated Games

1. Sonic Adventure 2 (DC)
2. Dreamcast Bomberman (DC)
3. Sonic Shuffle (DC)
4. Cannon Spike (DC)
5. Jet Grind Radio (DC)

Exodus
November 20th, 2000, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Old Fart Gamer:
BTW, I think Volition is toast. http://www.consolecity.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Volition is a big name PC developer. They have a talented developement team and have profited off a lot of titles. Their first PS2 outing is a minor setback at most.

To think EA would go belly-up after losing money on several PS2 launch titles is insane, considering they lost nearly as much on the Saturn launch before becoming the number 1 publisher/developer (thrid party) in net worth.

If Sony really only sold 309,000 systems on day one, does that mean that Sega still has the record? Didn't they sell like 320,000+ on day 1?

------------------
Exodus' Console Tech Page (http://www.angelfire.com/games2/releases)