PDA

View Full Version : Racism in public

Overkill
May 5th, 2003, 09:55 AM
How often do you personally witness an act of racism or intolerance in public?

Do you think that people who are racist are in the minority in modern American society?

Please explain your answer.

Overkill
May 5th, 2003, 09:57 AM
As a white male living in Phoenix, I rarely am witness to a blatent act of racism. It is very rare that I see this sort of thing in public in my city. I contend that those who are intolerant to people based on ethniticity are in the vast minority in modern American society.

The Krakken
May 5th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Overkill
As a white male living in Phoenix, I rarely am witness to a blatent act of racism. It is very rare that I see this sort of thing in public in my city. I contend that those who are intolerant to people based on ethniticity are in the vast minority in modern American society.

I actually answered your post twice...so I'll use the first post to continue a side tangent that I veered off into below, where I actually answered your question

I have long wondered why a black woman could turn her back on black men, thinking that we are losers and such like and choose to exclusively date fom a race, whose forefathers, and ancestors, even up to a mere generation ago, devalued the black woman to a point that they felt entitled in many instances to rape them as they pleased. Yes, that bothers the F*ck out of me. I am not mad at white men though....black women are very beautiful.

Date outside of your race for love....not because of hatred or apathy.

The Krakken
May 5th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Then you haven't spent much time in the deep south, which is where I live. Racism is everywhere, everyday. It isn't as blatnent (they don't call me nigger, or Injun, or either to my face....usually. They actually do sometimes, and I still get called "colored" regularly), but I've been passed by customers on more occasions than I could either remember or count based solely on the color of my skin, as a sales counselor when I worked at Sears.

Down here, it isn't as bad as it used to be, but when it is still pretty bad, "not as bad" isn't saying a whole lot.

Are we more OPENLY tolerant as a society? You bet. It isn't uncommon at all to see a few interracial couples walking around the city. Most people appear not to even give it a second thought....but many do.....I know they do, because I do. I am not hateful towards white men or anything like that. Black women are very beautiful. However, some of them have a hatred towards their own people that I have never quite understood. That goes for black men too....

But I still contend that racsim is still very VERY prevalent. Your answer is not a logical conclusion to the question. Just because people aren't wearing shirts, or have bumper stickers that say "I HATE NIGGERS", doesn't mean they are racist. They have as much to gain by keeping quiet about it as anyone else......

There are some pretty damn racist attitudes right here on CC...and no I am not talking about the Jewish thing...

Overkill
May 5th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks for your point of view, krak. I love how 5 people have voted yet only two of us replied.

Erbs
May 5th, 2003, 02:06 PM
I voted Once in a While. I live in maryland, its not common here at all, but then again there is some racism in the schools, and in baltimore. But Ive seen alot more when i go to florida, and pass through NC and SC, and parts of Virginia and Georgia. It is pretty blatant there.

glufx
May 5th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I see it alot... but it's because I'm one of a VERY small amount of "white"(i'm actually only half but I look as white as Bill gates) people the island. It's just alot of unspoken racism, but how it's done it's just as bad.

pakelika
May 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Im also a white male in the Phoenix area. I would have to say that I definitely see racism all the time, even if it's in the most minute, subconscious form. There's a lot of racism towards hispanic people in the area, especially.

That said, the area isn't nearly as bad as other parts of the country. People here are actually very tolerant, but it would be naive to say that a majority of people aren't racist to some extent. At least that's my opinion.

st_trooper
May 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by The Krakken
I have long wondered why a black woman could turn her back on black men, thinking that we are losers and such like and choose to exclusively date fom a race, whose forefathers, and ancestors, even up to a mere generation ago, devalued the black woman to a point that they felt entitled in many instances to rape them as they pleased. Yes, that bothers the F*ck out of me. I am not mad at white men though....black women are very beautiful.

Date outside of your race for love....not because of hatred or apathy. I have no idea where this came from but... Why do you care? It's her choice, not yours.

Overkill
May 5th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Good to see you around again, pake. :)

speKtor
May 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM
i see racism all the time, its against Indians. unfortunatley, we are big on that where i come from.

twEAkz
May 5th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Racism exists everywhere. As Pake stated, here in AZ its more towards the mexicans then anything.

I have even caught myself making racist comments towards mexicans.

Luckily for me I hate everyone equaly. Therefore I see it as ok.

I know white ppl who I call niggers.

I don't mean it as in you are Black, I mean it is in you are trash.

I have never met one person who didn't have a racist comment to make at some point.

What ever.... Fuck everyone.!

The Krakken
May 5th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by st_trooper
I have no idea where this came from but... Why do you care? It's her choice, not yours.

You missed the part where I said, the problem isn't with the choice.

I care less about the choice. My uncle is married to a white italian, and he is black. I myself am the product of an iterracial union between an indian and a black woman. My problem is with the self loathing and hatred for ones own race that often leads to the decision (especially among educated sistas, and rich black men), to completely stop considering the black man or woman as a viable life partner. As shitty as some black women have been to me, I would NEVER do that to black women as a whole, and that form of internal racism is just as bad, if not worse than racism from the outside. I've dated white women and continue to find them attractive to this day, and if me and my fiance didn't work out, I wouldn't hesitate to consider another relationship with someone from another race.

My problem is with the REASON for the choice, IF that reason has anything at all to do with hatred/loathing of one's own race.

hitmanhuss
May 5th, 2003, 07:07 PM
where i work is a mixed area. 70% white and 30% black, i hear racist oponion almost everyday from both of them

misfits138
May 5th, 2003, 11:31 PM
cincinnati, ohio..... need i say more? after the riots there has been tons of it from both whites and blacks.

molsonmuscle
May 5th, 2003, 11:34 PM
i've seen alot, growing up in northern saskatchewan where around 80% of the population is native, i've even been refered to as white devil (which is funny cuz i'm half native), but alot of the natives around don't work and therefore on the street u hear alot of racist stuff such as people callin them "porch monkeys" and "prararie niggers"" right to peoples faces

speKtor
May 6th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by molsonmuscle
i've seen alot, growing up in northern saskatchewan where around 80% of the population is native, i've even been refered to as white devil (which is funny cuz i'm half native), but alot of the natives around don't work and therefore on the street u hear alot of racist stuff such as people callin them "porch monkeys" and "prararie niggers"" right to peoples faces

how up north were you?

mountpanic
May 6th, 2003, 04:31 AM
I see it quite a bit. I probably have a wider definition of it, but I'm watching out for the subtle stuff that we find acceptable too.

For one, I see a lot here on the boards, and I also don't mean the obvious klan-like Jewish stuff. There are some pretty hick attitudes that no one even bats an eyelash at. The one that's seemingly the most accepted regards Asians (and this is not about how TMO can't get it up for Asian girls). It's bad with Mexicans too. I see offhand remarks that make me balk, that are just taken as completely acceptable by people who I wouldn't ordinarly classify as racist.

I see it in the news. It's overtly classism, a lot of the time, but that's just a cover. This administration is cracker to the core, "house" slaves like Condoleeza and Colin notwithstanding.

I see it in society, though probably less in Portland than a lot of places. Still, our libertarian state also allows quite a bit of latitude for the extremists. It's actually terribly shocking to me how much there is, and worse, how casually it's accepted by people.

I've always known it was wrong, but I've grown up finding it less and less acceptable, more and more an outrage. It really disturbs me to see what goes on just on this board alone. As bad as it is that, well, we know who, will make overly racist -- not just prejudiced, but flat-out hate-filled -- comments, but the degree of tolerance and even encouragement they get in return has literally churned my stomach in revulsion once or twice.

In a lot of ways, I think it's gotten worse. The momentum that there was following the 60's has faded, as boomers have lost their idealism. What was once completely unacceptable has become sheilded by uninventive morons who think they're "funny." The problem may not be their abuse of their rights but the general shirking of the accompanying responsibilities the rest of society has to shine a light on their darkness.

Constant vigilance! Leave no bigotry unchallenged, no cracker uncracked!

misfits138
May 6th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by mountpanic
I see it quite a bit. I probably have a wider definition of it, but I'm watching out for the subtle stuff that we find acceptable too.

For one, I see a lot here on the boards, and I also don't mean the obvious klan-like Jewish stuff. There are some pretty hick attitudes that no one even bats an eyelash at. The one that's seemingly the most accepted regards Asians (and this is not about how TMO can't get it up for Asian girls). It's bad with Mexicans too. I see offhand remarks that make me balk, that are just taken as completely acceptable by people who I wouldn't ordinarly classify as racist.

I see it in the news. It's overtly classism, a lot of the time, but that's just a cover. This administration is cracker to the core, "house" slaves like Condoleeza and Colin notwithstanding.

I see it in society, though probably less in Portland than a lot of places. Still, our libertarian state also allows quite a bit of latitude for the extremists. It's actually terribly shocking to me how much there is, and worse, how casually it's accepted by people.

I've always known it was wrong, but I've grown up finding it less and less acceptable, more and more an outrage. It really disturbs me to see what goes on just on this board alone. As bad as it is that, well, we know who, will make overly racist -- not just prejudiced, but flat-out hate-filled -- comments, but the degree of tolerance and even encouragement they get in return has literally churned my stomach in revulsion once or twice.

In a lot of ways, I think it's gotten worse. The momentum that there was following the 60's has faded, as boomers have lost their idealism. What was once completely unacceptable has become sheilded by uninventive morons who think they're "funny." The problem may not be their abuse of their rights but the general shirking of the accompanying responsibilities the rest of society has to shine a light on their darkness.

Constant vigilance! Leave no bigotry unchallenged, no cracker uncracked!

no cracker uncracked.... didn't you just contradict everything above?

Overkill
May 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I have learned that most people have a very lose defination of what they concider racism to be.

TOPDOG
May 6th, 2003, 04:23 PM
living in "Country Music USA" you tend to encounter rednecks, hicks, and the good ol' boys from time to time, especially if you're in a small towns' corner store on the weekend.

TOPDOG
May 6th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by The Krakken
Black women are very beautiful. However, some of them have a hatred towards their own people that I have never quite understood. i know a girl like that. she said that she doesn't feel comfortable around blacks, and that black guys dog her out.

she meet a guy online, and let him move in two weeks later. dude didn't pay any bills, was fucking girls he met over the net and talking bad to her all the time... she tried to put him out, but he wouldn't leave, he'll tell her that she didn't have any friends and that nobody liked her. and i asked her "and what is the reason you don't date blacks guys again?" because that was like the 4 or 5 white guy that i know of that dogged her.

mountpanic
May 6th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by misfits138
no cracker uncracked.... didn't you just contradict everything above?

Um... no.

molsonmuscle
May 6th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by speKtor
how up north were you?

meadow lake, last community in sask that is not a reserve (not including uranium city which well only has a population of like 5 now)

misfits138
May 6th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Um... no.

cracker is a racist term is it not?

molsonmuscle
May 6th, 2003, 09:29 PM
cracker is a racist term is it not?

yea it is, but alot of people think racism against white people isn't possible, when it obviously is, but they think since white people are generally in power that we are the ones who hold down their race and are not subject to racism ourselves.

misfits138
May 6th, 2003, 09:47 PM
:rolleyes:

molsonmuscle
May 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM

wtf was that for, i thought i brought the point across fairly well, if u have a problem with what i wrote at least state it instead of some bs little smiley

speKtor
May 6th, 2003, 11:01 PM
meadow lake, last community in sask that is not a reserve (not including uranium city which well only has a population of like 5 now)

yeah, i have been there.

mountpanic
May 6th, 2003, 11:47 PM
"Cracker" isn't a broad reference to all white people. There's a connotation of bigotry attached, particularly, but not limited to, Southerners. "Honky" would be whites in general.

misfits138
May 7th, 2003, 12:04 AM
wtf was that for, i thought i brought the point across fairly well, if u have a problem with what i wrote at least state it instead of some bs little smiley

the :rolleyes: wasn't for you sorry... i forgot to quote this part... "yea it is, but alot of people think racism against white people isn't possible".

misfits138
May 7th, 2003, 12:09 AM
"Cracker" isn't a broad reference to all white people. There's a connotation of bigotry attached, particularly, but not limited to, Southerners. "Honky" would be whites in general.

oh so now you're only calling white people who live in the south crackers... how is that not racist again?

st_trooper
May 7th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Bingo was calling people the "n" word during a match of MoH last night.

misfits138
May 7th, 2003, 12:33 AM
crack·er P Pronunciation Key (krkr)
n.

A thin crisp wafer or biscuit, usually made of unsweetened dough.
One that cracks, especially:

A firecracker.
A small cardboard cylinder covered with decorative paper that holds candy or a party favor and pops when a paper strip is pulled at one or both ends and torn.
The apparatus used in the cracking of petroleum.
One who makes unauthorized use of a computer, especially to tamper with data or programs.

Offensive.

Used as a disparaging term for a poor white person of the rural, especially southeast United States.
Used as a disparaging term for a white person.

st_trooper
May 7th, 2003, 01:44 AM
"Cracker" isn't a broad reference to all white people. There's a connotation of bigotry attachedlol, so has the word "queer" and "retard".

No one uses honky anymore, they use cracker or white trash. Slang doesn't always follow the dictionary definition.

Bingo
May 7th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by st_trooper
Bingo was calling people the "n" word during a match of MoH last night.

Yeah, Bingo did......after you switched to my name. :rolleyes: :tard:

misfits138
May 7th, 2003, 01:46 AM
you edit your posts too much trooper.... "When it's used as a put down it is, which what this thread is about. The same goes for the phrase "white trash". I've had friend be called white trash and cracker even though they are middle class and live in the north.":p

mountpanic
May 7th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Fer frig's sake, try to keep up. I won't be explaining this any more.

Cracker commonly refers to an ignorant white person WHO IS A BIGOT. The key word here is "bigot." Cracker is a subset of whites. Not all whites are bigots. Not all bigots are crackers.

Honestly, this has gone on far too long for something that was generally understood.

misfits138
May 7th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Fer frig's sake, try to keep up. I won't be explaining this any more.

Cracker commonly refers to an ignorant white person WHO IS A BIGOT. The key word here is "bigot." Cracker is a subset of whites. Not all whites are bigots. Not all bigots are crackers.

Honestly, this has gone on far too long for something that was generally understood.

tell that to the dictionary.:D

Overkill
May 8th, 2003, 01:23 AM
No, I think that cracker is a classification for all whites. That's how it is used. That's how Chris Rock uses it. He's the one who's popularized it.

KidRockDog
May 8th, 2003, 05:30 PM
I don't see a whole lot of racism in public. Then again, I don't try to pay attention to it all.

xTBUxYoungRydaZ
May 8th, 2003, 05:50 PM
all the time from where im from.....they dont say it to me tho

phenom
May 11th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Well being in the military I rarely see racism or bigotry but there are a lot of times when you feel it. It's like an aura or something. Since the Air Force is primarily Caucasion then most attitudes tend to drift to their sensibiities. Unlike, say the army where there are quite a few blacks enlisted.

Some examples are like when I'm on my crew and I'm the "designated black guy" and we are in a bus or van going to our hotel and the radio is playing. Well if the busdriver happens to be black he is listening to an urban/rap/r&b radio station. Invariably somebody will say something to the effect of turn this station cuz this is shit music. Then they always ask me, (coincidence that I'm the only black guy on the bus) "What is this song about?" or "Do you actually listen to the words of this song?" or "Do you really like this crap?"

However when a white guy is driving the bus then we get to hear some "good" music like country, 80's or 90's rock, or metal music.

I always feel like that Eddie Murphy skit on SNL where he dressed up like a white guy to see how the world is then. I feel like I'm missing some conversations that would be going on if I wasn't there or if I was white. Like in movies I get that feeling a lot. In our offtime the only thing to do is watch DVD's in this dayroom and usually 15-20 guys are there. Movies like Pulp Fiction where there are a lot of racial terms or Road Trip where they go to that black fraternity, it seems like there would be more said from the audience if any of the black guys weren't in the same room.

Maybe I read too much into things or I'm paranoid, but it's just a feeling I get sometimes in situations...........