PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo on fire, Yamauchi gives killer interview (from C&VG)

magius
May 24th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Wow, Empereor Yamauchi has addressed the Nation again. This guy is a hoot and probably immortal too...

From Computer & Videogames (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/):

Nintendo on fire, Yamauchi gives killer interview

Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi has given the post-E3 interview to end them all. Don’t be banking on Nintendo online gaming anytime soon…

Mr Yamauchi is the lord of all things understated. Take the ageing Nintendo bosses comments just before E3. After the company had worked on Gamecube for years, he blithely sat down with a reporter and told him that Gamecube would not launch if the reaction at the show was not favourable. Just like that.
Fortunately, E3-goers loved Gamecube and its quirky, brilliant suite of games, so the release of the machine’s back on. Phew. The US price has been set at a drool-inducing $199 in the States, and if there was ever any doubt that Nintendo was aggressively aiming for the top slot in the console stakes, consider it dismissed. Hiroshi wants glory. Hiroshi wants it right now.

What follows is taken from an interview between Yamauchi and Japanese business paper The Nihon Keizai Shimbun. During the piece he compares the differences between Xbox and Gamecube to the differences between a pro wrestler and a sumo wrestler. He also makes no bones about standing off from the online game race. How’s this for fun? "There is only interest in these games because NTT DoCoMo Inc has profited from i-mode. I am not sure if content providers have made any money. Unless the business proves profitable, Nintendo will not be involved in Internet games." The comedy rolls ever on. Savour every word.

Q: You have said that you were ready to suspend the launch of the Game Cube if it was poorly received at U.S. trade shows.

Yamauchi: Fortunately, we got a good response. Local reports say that Nintendo received the same number of visitors as Microsoft, which is also launching a new machine. But at the Microsoft booth visitors just looked and moved on, but the Nintendo booth was crowded with people trying out the machine. I believe that people were interested in Game Cube's unique software. So naturally we'll go ahead with sales as planned.

Q: Game Cube is being launched at around the same time as Microsoft's Xbox. Will that have any impact?

Yamauchi: The ideas behind Xbox and Game Cube are fundamentally different. Xbox has a built-in hard drive and is being touted as an extension of a PC. Microsoft is going after performance only, and does not understand that the game is played with software. A Nintendo is ultimately a toy. It is the most advanced machine for playing games, and it is totally different from the Microsoft product. It is just like trying to compare a sumo wrestler and pro wrestler; they play by totally different rules. We do not consider Microsoft to be our competitor.

Q: Why did the company set the recommended retail price more than 10,000 yen lower than PlayStation 2 and Xbox?

Yamauchi: People do not play with the game machine itself. They play with the software, and they are forced to purchase a game machine in order to use the software. Therefore the price of the machine should be as cheap as possible.

Q: Other companies have begun to launch Internet games.

Yamauchi: The Internet games available today are for hard-core gamers. I don't believe the general public is going to be very interested in them. And I doubt that Net games will turn out to be profitable. There is only interest in these games because NTT DoCoMo Inc has profited from i-mode. I am not sure if content providers have made any money. Unless the business proves profitable, Nintendo will not be involved in Internet games.

Q: What is the software strategy for Game Cube?

Yamauchi: Although sales of the Game Boy Advance have been good, sales of exclusive software have been sluggish because too many titles were released at the same time. So when it comes to the domestic launch of Game Cube, Nintendo will release only two software titles. We hope to attract consumers with a few really great games.

Patrick Garratt
Thursday, 24 May 2001

------------------
"WE are Square, you will buy our games, resistance is futile."

Shin Egg Robo
May 24th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Damn, I was hoping for more controversy in that interview. The thing is, he may be outspoken about his beliefs but I usually am in agreement with him.

------------------
No, its just I'm that damn good at everything

Razor
May 24th, 2001, 02:29 PM
So when it comes to the domestic launch of Game Cube, Nintendo will release only two software titles. We hope to attract consumers with a few really great games.
Someone please tell me I've misinterpreted this, or I am going to die with laughter

------------------
"Roy Jones slap the shit outa some nigga last night"
Greatest lightweight Boxer, greatest damn boxer period, ever
Don't hate the players, Love the game

Sinister
May 24th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Why would you care how many videogames the Gamecube is launching with in Japan, worry about North America.

EDIT--

By the way, fuck Mario Yamauchi is Nintendo's true mascot

------------------
During the Renaissance, Italian artists created their masterpieces using oil and canvas. The Polish created theirs using water and rye.

[This message has been edited by Sinister (edited May 24, 2001).]

Shin Egg Robo
May 24th, 2001, 04:25 PM
The thing with launch titles is that only about one or two sell well...the rest just sell in moderate amounts or low amounts. If you spread out your games, your game will get much more face time and hence, more sales. Two launch games in Japan, Which I am guessing is SSB Melee and Luigi's Mansion, will do well if they are great games. Then these games could be spread apart, they will sell well.

------------------

Imploding Voice
May 24th, 2001, 06:54 PM
No INTERNET GAMES?!!! F*ck!!!!!!

Very poor excuse....Internet gaming is the most fun I've had on any console. (Dreamcast)

------------------
Hey everybody! Let's validate 4...

Sedated
Fickle
blah...
blah...

Shin Egg Robo
May 24th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Nintendo doesn't really have the experience for netplay. They'd have to hire outside talent to do the job. Nintendo can create some great Game Cube netplay games like Wave Race, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness. Those are just off the top of my head.

------------------

Sergei
May 25th, 2001, 03:42 AM
So when it comes to the domestic launch of Game Cube, Nintendo will release only two software titles. We hope to attract consumers with a few really great games.

Can we say N64?

---Sergei

------------------
"Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now, you fucking stupid bastard!!!"

-Patrick Bateman, while killing Paul Allen with an ax, in American Psycho.

Shin Egg Robo
May 25th, 2001, 04:24 AM
There are more differences with Game Cube and N64. Game Cube this year will probably have 8-12 games out, which is a great flow and since there is at least anywhere from 40 to 60 projects in the works for Game Cube right now, the Game Cube will have more games out, especially by first and second parties.

------------------

scottt
May 25th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Yamauchi said last year that Nintendo sells the same amount of software regardless of how many titles they put out. In the same line, I don't see an increase in the number of first and second parties titles. They will take the time to develop truly killer games and go for the multi-million sales which is fine with me.

They'll try to have as many 3rd party games as they can, but at the same time, they are too interested with exclusive 3rd party titles. It's a lot like the N64 where Nintendo had the #2 console, while dominating as the #1 publisher.

------------------

magius
May 25th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Sinister:

By the way, fuck Mario, Yamauchi is Nintendo's true mascot

ROTFLMAO!!! So true, so true!
I think they must have a fleet of Yamauchis standing by and deploy one for each different press interview, etc.

I disagree in some of his points, but you've got to admire a guy as outspoken as him. Balls of steel I tell you! "Screw Square, screw online, hail Nintendo!"

You have to wonder why he hasn't show up in a Highlander episode before... or maybe he did? LOL...

------------------
"WE are Square, you will buy our games, resistance is futile."

Swirlie
May 25th, 2001, 12:58 PM
I read in NG that the GC will only have about 5 launch titles. I hope they are better than the N64's, but of course the N64 didnt have RS2 now did it?

------------------
If not completely satisfied with the above post, please call: 1-888-kiss-my-balls. My operators are standing by.

Shin Egg Robo
May 25th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Nintendo really wants their products to be in their own little world. They want their own products to stand out from the rest, be different from what is modern and in and instead do it how they want. The thing is, doing this loses a lot of gamer attention but at the same time, gives Nintendo millions of sales for their software and millions of dollars of profit. If Nintendo were to release 6-8 mature titles just for the sake of trying to erradicate the kiddie attitude, they wouldn't be as great as they are now. Many times they often don't care about how the others think of them but at the same time pleases millions. They are a brilliant corporation and has done amazing things and Game Cube shows that its not about how many set top box features it has or even if it were to have netplay, its all about how they want it, not what the current trend of games are going.

------------------